From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

15 CWT Dodge Truck?

Post by 36th Tom »

I was reading about a unit of the British Army in Italy where they received "Brand New 15 CWT Dodge Trucks". There is a picture in the book that clearly shows the front end of one, but not the rear.

Anybody out there know what a "15 CWT" (Hundred weight) Dodge would have been in 1944? I am looking at re-creating one and found a 1939 Dodge 1-1/2 ton, but I am unsure if the truck would have had dual rear wheels or single.

The Front tire looks like a 16x9.00 to my calibrated eyeballs from the picture. (the one I found has 20x7.50's)

Also, does anyone know Dodges of the 1939 era, and more importantly if repair panels can be had for the cab and doors?

Thanks,
Tom
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: 15 CWT Dodge Truck?

Post by Gordon_M »

Well you are almost in the right place for that truck.

the 15cwt was the Canadian-built Dodge T22 series D15 ( D = Dodge, 15 = 15cwt ) that designation was derived purely from the fact that it had to fit the 15cwt slot in the Commonwealth specs. British pattern single wheels and tyres all round, 9.00 x 16 I think.

T222 six cylinder 236 cu in engine, somewhat longer at 25" than the 23.5" US version. It came in two versions, GS cargo and water tank, and a good few still survive today, but as a 4 x 2 truck it was in big demand in the Uk and most were just used up and rusted out.

So, if you need one, you'll be looking for a T222 D15 GS Cargo truck. Just put DODGE D15 into Google and you'll get loads of images. Apart from here, you might want to search for them on the Maple Leaf Up Forum too.

Dodge did make military trucks in 1939, from memory the TF 40x4 1.5 ton that was the model before the military VF. 1939 trucks were the first to come from the Mound Road plant at Detroit and they have a good number of differences from 1940 and later trucks.

1939 and 1940 model civilian Dodge trucks are noticeably different to the more common 1941-47 trucks and quite sought after, so you would be better off leaving the 1939 truck alone, or buying it and selling it on.

Just as an exercise, to 'convert' a 1939 TF 1.5 ton to a D15, you'd have to;

1, Change from left to right hand drive
2. Change both axles and wheels to British Military Pattern.
3. Pull the engine, turn the radiator frame round, and fit a 236 Canadian unit.
4. Change the cab ( different pattern door locks on 1939 model )
5. Find and fit a CMP-style 15 cwt cargo body.

So, as you see, rather more effort than just buying the right version. Depending on where you are, there is usually a D-15 for sale somewhere in the UK or Europe - Andre has one on MILWEB at the minute;

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large ... 9894&cat=3

. Few, if any, in the US or Canada, though a few do still turn up in Commonwealth countries.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Tom

As Gordon suggested, you will get much more information on the Dodge D15 on the Maple Leaf Up Forum. There is a section or thread devoted to these trucks with lots of photographs on that site.

The truck that Andre has for sale would have to be looked at closely before purchase if interested. It looks a little bit 'tarted up' to me. Is that rippling I can see on the front l/h mudguard? Also, do my eyes deceive me or has the roof been jumped on?

David
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm almost settled on the '39 Dodge 1-1/2 ton I'm looking at. I have read lots of posts and considered CCKW's and Chevy 1-1/2 tons, but I think a 2WD truck is more what I need and can realisticly maintain. I'm having trouble running down information on the Dodge truck itself. Most of the sites and forums I have found deal with later Dodges, and when looking for parts the first thing they want to sell me are chrome valve covers (for a flat-head Six).

I have also located a '35 Dodge parts truck (complete minus cab) and am wondering if it is the same engine. Are they indeed 236cid? The '39's cab has a few rust issues, and a "Tractor Strike" from years in a barn. It has been inside a barn for the last 20 years. Due to the shape it is in it is not a good candidate for a street rod. Patched up it would not be out of charactor for a truck that had been through the war.

What I want to end up with is a truck that would be found at a Displaced Persons camp just after the war. It could be an ex-military or civilian (The U.N.R.R.A. used anything they could get ahold of including abandoned German vehicles). The price is right on the pair (between the two I get a cab & bed, and at least 6 usable tires. The wheel bolt patterns match.

Any place you can steer me to find techical know how on them would be appriciated.

Tom
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Well I'd go for the '39 then, sounds ideal.

The engines are generically the same all the way through to about 1960, all flathead sixes.

If the 1939 is a TF 1.5 ton many later parts will fit, and it is possible to chop sections out of later cabs to repair a '39 cab, to only '39-specific parts are the dash itself and the doors / door pillars.

Go to Yahoo, and ask to join the 39-47 Dodge Truck Group, you will find a load of people there with all the 4 x 2 variants from 1939-47 and a load of parts sources. You will find this forum more helpful for mechanical parts and a lot of the WW2 spare parts will fit.

Its it a half ton, 3/4, one ton, 1.5, or heavier ? In general parts for half ton and 1.5 ton are no problem, 3/4 ton and one ton a lot trickier.

Where are you anyway? US, Europe, down under?

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.

The trucks are both 1-1/2 ton.

Locating parts shouldn't be too much a problem after I wade through all the chrome valve covers and neon green spark plug wires!

Tom
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Well you will definitely find it easier to find a vanilla 1.5 ton Dodge than the D15 - I don't know of any in the US and can't think of any in Canada.

The 1939 and 1940 civilian trucks are numerically much rarer than the 41-47 versions, so have a little more value. half tons and 1.5 tons quite common, all other sizes less so.

Don't nglect any oddball Dodge you run across. They made about 1600 4 x 2 half tons for the US Army, and Canada made a bunch of one tons for the Commonwealth Forces, so something like a 1940-45 one ton Canadian panel van of pickup could legitimately be displayed as a Commonwealth WW2 truck.
Gordon, in Scotland

36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

On this particular project I just want to get the bad boy running, pound out the worst of the dents, patch the worst of the holes, and paint it.

Were any of these type trucks (Dodge 1-1/2 ton) used (as is) by Commonwealth Forces?

Tom
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I don't think so, but not sure.

Confusingly the Commonwealth ordered and used 1/2 ton 4x4, 1/2 and 1 ton 4 x 2, and 1.5 ton 4x4 ( export batch of VF ) and 3 ton 4 x 2 ( VK62B) but I don't have any records of them using 1.5 ton 4 x 2 TF, VF, or WF trucks.

The US military would have used TF and VF 4 x 2 trucks, and another big user would be the Civilian Conservation Corps in the US, just not sure the Commonwealth ever used any.

The Commonwealth did use a bunch of Canadian-built 4 x 2 trucks, like the T222 and T110L, no figures for 1.5 ton 4 x 2 though.
Gordon, in Scotland