DOCTORED DEUCES

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

DOCTORED DEUCES

Post by RANGER »

Patched up just enough to get a truck sold. Been watching an unwanted CCKW change hands over the years. Three owners and a thousand miles later the sick engine is rediscovered. (A word to the owner, it needs a lot more work than is evident)
PT Barnum was correct.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
42Searchlight
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Re: DOCTORED DEUCES

Post by 42Searchlight »

RANGER wrote:Patched up just enough to get a truck sold. Been watching an unwanted CCKW change hands over the years. Three owners and a thousand miles later the sick engine is rediscovered. (A word to the owner, it needs a lot more work than is evident)
PT Barnum was correct.
I was told there was some discussion about my truck on this site.

Joel, For my safety and the safety of my passengers and everyone else on the road around me what are the other hidden issues you are aware of?

Bill Wolf
42Searchlight
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by 42Searchlight »

42Searchlight wrote:
RANGER wrote:Patched up just enough to get a truck sold. Been watching an unwanted CCKW change hands over the years. Three owners and a thousand miles later the sick engine is rediscovered. (A word to the owner, it needs a lot more work than is evident)
PT Barnum was correct.
I was told there was some discussion about my truck on this site.

Joel, For my safety and the safety of my passengers and everyone else on the road around me what are the other hidden issues you are aware of?

Bill Wolf
Joel,

I have not heard back from you in a couple of days so I am assuming you may have missed this. This second request should bump this back to the top.

As you stated, if the truck I bought has additional hidden issues that you are aware of, for the safety of anyone in the truck or on the road near me will you please relate to me what those isssues are so I can correct them before something horrible happens.

I have also sent you a PM on this in case you miss this post.

Bill Wolf
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

Had a friend back in the 90's (deceased now) who bought a "Doctored Deuce" from a dealer local to him. The dealer 'claimed' to be an expert, but sold him a CCKW lwb with an incorrectly assembled steering box. The pitman arm shaft was off by one tooth so it would take a normal corner to the right but to the left it was down right dangerous as it would only turn the wheels about 1/2 way. Obviously the seller knew this. Anyone moving the truck would instantly know this but sold it to him in that unsafe condition anyways!
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

Can you actually believe that someone, especially a dealer would sell a truck like that in good faith?

Makes me upset just thinking about it.

It shouldn't be buyer beware in this hobby!
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Many vendors, from the begnnings of time, (including dealers) are 90% BS - that's why you need to test drive and inspect a prospective purchase either by yourself or with an experienced mechanic. I have known entire engines to have been changed between inspection and pickup though - the sad fact is that you have to be smarter than the crooks.

The old rule about keeping your money in your pocket until you have gotten what you want is a good one.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

Many vendors, from the begnnings of time, (including dealers) are 90% BS - that's why you need to test drive and inspect a prospective purchase either by yourself or with an experienced mechanic. the sad fact is that you have to be smarter than the crooks.
Yup, there are lots of questionable dealers out there. Luckly I have only met a couple in my 29 years with a CCKW.
the sad fact is that you have to be smarter than the crooks.
That reminds me: The deal I mentioned included a gunmount (truck was an open cab). I recall that the mount was in the back of the truck when shown and $$ agree to, then was missing when picked up. It was 'owed' to the buyer and still was never delivered.

That was 20+ years ago!
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys