GMC Book

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

GMC Book

Post by Robbo »

Anyone got a copy of the Tankograd GMC book:

http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.ph ... euheit.htm#

Is there anything new in it to make it especially worth buying?
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: GMC Book

Post by RANGER »

Will tell you all about it shortly.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Did a little checking on the book, I think it has only 48 pages, and there is a photo of a SWB with the exhaust exiting on the passenger side splash guard. It is availible for $19.95 in the USof A and around 25 bucks in Canada. It is printed in English and German. Well worth the price and my book shelf has a home for it.
Wish I had heard about it sooner, I am in good standing with Santa. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My wife gave it to me for my birthday tonite. What a book! No CCKW enthusiast should be without it. It is not intended as a restoration guide as the editor mentions but is loaded with wartime never before seen WWII /Korea photos with easy to see markings (lots of blue Drab evidence on hoods and early unit markings on doors) plenty of historical detail plus a few photos from the George C. Marshall Museum and photos taken from CCKW manuals. Only discrepancy I noted was the mention of early black bakelite steering wheels. They were hard rubber, not bakelite etc. Other than that this is the best buy for a highly informative CCKW book on the market today. It has a hard glossy cover and is printed on quality glossy pages which will survive many years of reading. It is availible as a "Buy Now" on eBay for $18.50 plus $4.00 shipping in USA from Aberdeen Bookstore. A bargain for what it contains.
Look it up on eBay Item No. 220330151992. If you are in a hurry for it there is a Priority Mail option. A dynamite book from Aberdeen Bookstore, www. aberdeenbookstore.com in Sheridan,Colorado. Aberdeen Bookstore is a quality store, packaging and shipping is first rate, books are mailed immediately.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM Carpenter
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by DM Carpenter »

Happy Birthday, JG
1943 GPW 93517 "Basketcase"
1945 WC-52
1953 M-38A1 USAF then USMC
1965 D-100
BB-55 USS North Carolina LHC
..._
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Thank you.
And I know a good CCKW book :thumbup: :thumbup: when I see one.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Hope someone else enjoys this book as much as I do. It gives a lot of insight(and photos) about early CCKW use.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Anyone else buy this book, 20 bucks wont break ya. It is full of early pics taken in 1941 42 era USA during war games training in Tennessee, Loiisiana, Georgia, etc showing factory fresh CCKWX/CCKW GMC is its purest factory forms with Blue Drab USA registrations and markings. It shows the evolution of early NDT tread tires and GIs relaxing around their new trucks. No bent fenders, water buckets, silly monikers, home made mirror arms etc., just pure CCKW at its finest. If you want detail ideas for accurate restoration, this is an excellent book. I study mine every evening and am still gleaning details.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Still getting rave reviews. :thumbup:
Dr Deuce
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dr Deuce »

Does it have an ISBN number?

If so, could you post it?

Thanks
Dr Deuce Over 50,000 driven miles in a CCKW
10 CCKW deuces, 7 Chevys
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Book is still availible on Ebay at Aberdeen Bookstore for $18.50, maybe a bit less by others, Aberdeen Bookstore has all the Tankograd books. and the best service anywhere.
No ISBN.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Why I like the early CCKWX/CCKW photos in this book.
I just compared one of the pics I took of my 1st Series CCKW with the TM9 Ordnance Blue Drab Registration Numbers in the original 4" GMC font to those in the Tankograd GMC book. They are spot on! Thanks to all the good CCKWX/CCKW early WWII period photos, accurate research is made easier.
Now for the 30th QM early WWII registration painted on the doors.
I am slowly getting there, just a few loose ends here and there, the matching glovebox lock with H700 key, a symmetrical radiator guard, and a NOS Hard Rubber Steering Wheel will just about end the restoration for the most part.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There is one more GMC "must have" book, it is the GMC CCKW-352/353 by Emile Becker and Guy Dentzer. It is printed in a combined German and French with a smidgen of English. It has been out of print for years. It has a gray front cover with GMC in Red. I buy them whenever I see them as there is always someone who could use one. I have refered to mine at least once a week for nearly 20 years, and have noted a well thumbed thru copy in Bob Rubinos' automobile. The language barrier is no problem, the photos speak for themselves.