1941 Dodge tank truck

bob487thbg
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

1941 Dodge tank truck

Post by bob487thbg »

:?: I just bought a 1941 Dodge 1 ton (I think) .2WD, dual rear wheels with a tank which last used as a farm truck Has small light mounted above each headlight . Is this a military configuration ??? ANy body have any pictures ??? Thanks
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Maybe not, but....

Post by Gordon_M »

The small pod light above the headlight suggests a 1940 truck.

They did make 1940 military trucks, but I only have records of 4 x 4 half ton and 1.5 tons produced in any quantity.

There were a small amount of 1.5 ton 4 x 2 trucks made for Uncle Sam, but probably a much larger amount of basic civilian trucks bought by the military and just painted olive drab. Also forest service and Cililian Conservation Corps trucks looked pretty much the same and were much the same spec.

I'd guess it's a 1.5 ton (as 1 tons with duals are 1941-up I think) which is the second most common weight rating. You can get some pictures of it, or the chassis number from the front left frame rail or passengers door pillar / glove box plate, and that will identify it further (engine number too).

1939 and 1940 model trucks are the rarest, with 1941-47 being basically the same truck so available in larger quantities.

Any other military features like green paint, blackout lights, dash stencils, etc?

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
bob487thbg
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

1941 or 1940 dodge

Post by bob487thbg »

Gordon
thanks for the info, Lotsa times these trucks seem to be off a year from their apparent registration I have a WC 56 early one titled as a 44 but has all the early war bits and pieces.
As for this new purchase 1.5 T seems more correct and the light pods are 1940 era . But to clarify were these lights used on both military and civilian trucks??? I likely wont have the truck for a month or so it needs to be shipped from the west coast to the east coast US it still retains tamk (I believe that to be original). I hope that it has military history to it if not it will be a civilian restoration will post pics upon arrival thanks again
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Good point Bob,

Post by Gordon_M »

As far as I know, all the military 1940 trucks had ordinary headlights without the small pod on top, which was basically to take the running light after sealed beam main lights came in but before cowl lights appeared.

However I have seen some military trucks which had them fitted later, so it's not definitive. My best guess would be a standard civilian truck which may have been used by the military of which there seemed to be a lot 1939-40.

It's not always possible to tell if they were bought off the line by the army, or from dealers, but if yours has a special back body it might have some army inputs. One other clue is that all the standard civilian trucks I've seen bought by Uncle Sam have been standard Dodge truck Dark Green with OD on top.

Keep us posted about chassis numbers, etc.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Mike W.
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mike W. »

While not a Dodge but along the same lines I know of a complete 1940 Chevy 1 1/2 ton flatbed civvy bodied military truck with the standard headlights with the park lights on top as per the normal civvy trucks. This truck has the mil bumper, grille guard, and a rotating pintle hook on the back.
Mike W.
3rd generation US Navy Vet.
Ft. McCoy, Fla.