Starter Pedal

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Starter Pedal

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Hi guys,
I purchased a new starter pedal from John B (very nice it is too :thumbup: ) for my WC53.
Try as I might I simply cannot get it to operate smoothly and more often than not it will fail to release when I lift my foot. I have polished the shaft, checked the engagement lever on the starter etc etc etc. I mean how hard can it be?? :oops:

Anyone have any thoughts or pointers??

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Starter Pedal

Post by Tony B »

Very frustrating at times! :thumbdown: My 54 is never a problem, the 51 will work 9 times out of ten, then just won't engage, then suddenly works. The problem is the bulkhead hole wears. Easiest answer is put a couple of large washers behind the release spring and put it under more tension.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Andersun
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Andersun »

First off, the design leaves little room for adjustment in any part of the linkage. from the foot button all the way to the linkage to the starter arm.

My starter pedal assembly had a bent rod and the firewall casting was wallowed out. I ended up getting a nice "take off" starter assembly as a replacement. I installed it and it had issues with sticking. I ended up mixing the two together and found a combination that so far has been working well.

As I remember correctly, the differences between the two where the spring size and diameter of starting rod were both smaller on the "take off" assembly.

I think I had used the take off casting, rod and foot button mated with the original spring.

You might have some room to adjust by loosening the casting bolts and moving the casting up or down on the firewall. Make sure you have the lock washers on so it doesn't end up moving back to a bad position.

If all else fails, I would take a look at the geometry of the starter arm in relations to the rod when the rod is engaged. If the rod sticks because the starter arm is forcing it into a position where it is wedged against the casting on the firewall, you might be able to drill out the hole on the end of the rod to a bigger diameter which would let the linkage be "looser" and allowing the spring tension to bring the rod back.

Good luck, just getting underneath the dash to do this is a big pain in the ars.
Steve
1943 WC57
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I agree about trying to get under the firewall. Dodge designers have a lot to answer for on that one. I keep the Chiroprator's number on speed dial. :thumbdown:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Thanks guys,
alas right now I am laid up with my left foot in plaster so messing with the starter is not a happening thing. :oops:
At least I know I'm not alone with this issue. I am also wondering if the body of the vehicle is a little low, I did install new body mount blocks but now I have discovered that there should be "canvas" inserts between the wooden blocks and the body. That may be all it needs to fix the problem.

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB