PLAYING WITH DANGER-DON't DO IT

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

PLAYING WITH DANGER-DON't DO IT

Post by RANGER »

The TM9-801 site is advising to use heat or even weld on the Budd Wheels installed on CCKW.

DO NOT FOLLOW HIS ADVICE, YOU WILL BE A SORRY STATISTIC. AN EXPLODING WHEEL HAS NO CONSCIENCE, THERE IS NO FIRST AID FOR A MISSING LIMB OR DEATH.
FARBY, YOU COULD BE DEAD WRONG!
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: PLAYING WITH DANGER-DON't DO IT

Post by retro-roco »

RANGER wrote:The TM9-801 site is advising to use heat or even weld on the Budd Wheels installed on CCKW.

DO NOT FOLLOW HIS ADVICE, YOU WILL BE A SORRY STATISTIC. AN EXPLODING WHEEL HAS NO CONSCIENCE, THERE IS NO FIRST AID FOR A MISSING LIMB OR DEATH.
FARBY, YOU COULD BE DEAD WRONG!
Ranger,

Your post here is misleading and irresponsible. You have totally mis-represented what Paul posted on his site:http://www.tm9-801.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1619 His comment about welding on a rim was not when it was on the truck, and was not even when the tire was on the rim. His whole post was about how to remove a junk tire from a rim. With no tire on the rim, what is going to explode??

You should be ashamed to have even posted this drivel. But I'm sure you won't be... :roll:
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: PLAYING WITH DANGER-DON't DO IT

Post by RANGER »

Read the article again. The following is quoted from it

"I got to a tire where I wanted to save the rim and ring"

"You will need just to be careful not to cut into the lock ring/rim lip. If you do nick the rim, welding it will fix it. Rims are welded on ALL THE TIME (heck how do you think they join the parts of a rim together?) edit- I know CCKW rims are riveted. That's just how they made them at the time. Again , rims are welded on all the time... its not going to make them shoot off and kill small children at parades hahahahaha."

Kirk, a word to the wise, welding on truck wheels is UNSAFE and DEADLY.
There is much information from the truck wheel industry, NTSB, etc, and a long history in newspapers with names of those maimed or killed by exploding truck wheels caused by those who ignored warnings.
It is bad enough to have 70 year old bent, eroded, and pitted wheels and lock rings, why take a chance.
You are wrong to think otherwise, DEAD WRONG.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it