New Pitman Arm

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

New Pitman Arm

Post by PareosWC »

Gents, I bought a new WC 3/4T Pitman Arm from MWM, and once placed on the sector shaft with original washer and nut, I can only torque it down to where the side of the new pitman arm is flush with the end of the sector shaft. Is this adequate? Seems there is a whole lot of thread left on the uphill portion of the shaft?
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: New Pitman Arm

Post by motto »

I looked at the two trucks I have here and on one a little bit of the sector shaft thread is protruding through the nut and on the other it is below flush.
There is obviously some variation in manufacture.

David
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Thank you, David! I did some maintenance on the front hubs, drums, draglink, steering box, and bellcrank. However, all of that does you no good if you don't center the steering wheel before you secure the bellcrank :oops: Started to back out the WC52, and had no steering to the left... with no clutch or brakes, only E-brake :shock: :lol:
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Ahaa! I spent my entire working life in aircraft maintenance and this is a classic case of what a work colleague always referred to as 'the fiddle factor'. This is where the problem is created by the person or persons carrying out the work. Not uncommon.

David