WWII JEEP FUEL PUMP

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

WWII JEEP FUEL PUMP

Post by RANGER »

Regardless of what is preached as Gospel on other sites, the WWII Jeep at one time did have factory installed fuel pumps with the glass bowl.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: WWII JEEP FUEL PUMP

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

Hi Ranger,
the WWII Jeep at one time did have factory installed fuel pumps with the glass bowl.
Please post your references to back up the above statement made by you.

By the way the WW2 Jeep is limited to the MB or GPW for researching purposes. 1/4 Ton 4x4 vehicles made prior to Dec. 7. '41 ( except for a few MBs made prior to Dec. 7 ) are not WW2 Jeeps. :wink:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Check your early WWII TM's and possibly WWII Army Motors and sit down and relax. Researching the part no for the glass bowl would be a good place to start.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

Please post your references as have been asked for or post the part number of the glass bowl.

After all you are the one whom originally made the statement seen above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I just did, it ain't like I am the new boy on the block. Check out the history of 115655.
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

For future reference, Saying go check some manual or read through all the the Army non-manual publications from WW2 is not an answer. When someone asks for references to a made statement it involves posting the manual or publication title, version, date and page number or in the case of files, the accession name and file or box number where the original data is listed so it can be crossed checked. It does does matter how young or how old a person is the same rules apply to both.

This former military vehicle hobby is a TEAM effort and, at least in today's world, there is NO I in TEAM . Perhaps this was not the case in training received in years past.

Now back to the glass fuel pump bowl. Part number 115655 is listed in the Willy-Overland '42 and '43 Master Parts manuals covering the MA, MB and MBT as applying to both the MA and MB.

The MB part of this listing may very well be a typo ( it would not be the first one found ). If this is where you are getting your data from to make the statement in your first post of this thread it may be in error. Repeated manual typos are a leading source of history revisions.

TM-10-1206 change # 4 dated Dec.1, 1941, which deals only with the MB and is dated a mere month after MB production started, makes no mention of a glass bowl for the fuel pump and in fact only the metal bowl is listed.

A first version TM-10-1206 ( do you have this manual ? ) needs be checked as well as the MB fuel pump drawing if it still exist somewhere.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Tom, a lot of us share MV information with you without hesitation, but there are many instances that you do not for whatever reason. This is a hobby and we can't always be at your disposal to jump thru hoops when you can look it up for yourself.
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

First off you have not ever shared any data with me on a one on one basis that I know of. If there was something please remind me.

As you do not have the time many times when asked ( and by the way I am rarely in a hurry for replies ) to look up asked for references, I do not have the time to go looking through many many manuals or documents without some direction from the requester as to where to look other than " go look it up in a bunch of early manuals. This does not just apply to just me but to most persons.

If I do not give an answer to a question or request it may be a matter of life getting in the way or many times there is no answer to give because I do not have the data to form an answer.

We both agree ( I think ) that this is a great hobby but it takes all parties working together as a TEAM and not a bunch of Is' putting themselves above the rest for it to work for everyone's benefit.
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

Update - Checking in ORD 15-2 Ordnance Interchange Manual dated Feb. 1, '45 WO part number crosses to G085-0100280 which had replaced part number G505-0149045. Company parts numbers crossing to WO-115655 were listed as American Bantam - R20374, AC - 1523094, Chrysler Corp. - 689503, and IHC - 59088D.

The G085 reference must have been very early since the '44 dated ORD 9 G085 Vol IV and G506 shows only the metal bowl as being used. Also I was not aware that Chrysler used the jeep type fuel pump and again if it was used it must have been for very early 1/2 Ton 4x4s if at all.

Also missing from the interchange list was any signs of a G503 number or a Ford GPW number crossing to the WO-115655 part number.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

More mystery, as far as WWII era Dodge 6 Cyl engines go, 218, 236, 230, go, it would not be possible to mount a fuel pump configured for Jeep. Note the staggered mounting pattern to the Dodge Block and the symmetrical mounting bolt pattern used on Jeep and similar 2 valve CCKW /Chev 4X4 Pump bodies. The early dodge pumps shared few if any parts with Jeep pump, even the bowl gasket was a different size. Also, in addition to the fuel bowl, the early Dodge pumps also had an air dome.
How did Dodge sneak into this?

BTW,
The 1st Series CCKW and 4X4 Chev also had a glass bowl.
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

I guess you would need to ask the quality trained Army Ordnance personnel that put together the ORD 15-2 Parts Interchange Manual.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Those personnel did a good job, they did not have the luxury of computers and word processors. Am sure that those who were involved in the shops and the stock system were well aware of the discrepancy. It did not take long for those assigned to the supply system or the new mechanics in the WWII army to gain "hands on" experience. There was plenty of supervision to pass the word around along with service bulletins and publications such as "Army Motors" that passed on the information. There were also field reps from all the manufacturers who kept the GI involved, and the Office of Chief of Ordnance had a constant stream of reports from the field.
Anyone with experience in selling MV parts for any length of time such as the old time army parts dealers of yesteryear would not be rattled over the glitch.
Tom Wolboldt
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Tom Wolboldt »

Those personnel did a good job, they did not have the luxury of computers and word processors. Am sure that those who were involved in the shops and the stock system were well aware of the discrepancy. It did not take long for those assigned to the supply system or the new mechanics in the WWII army to gain "hands on" experience. There was plenty of supervision to pass the word around along with service bulletins and publications such as "Army Motors" that passed on the information. There were also field reps from all the manufacturers who kept the GI involved, and the Office of Chief of Ordnance had a constant stream of reports from the field.
I agree! With all they had to do in a short time there few misstates. You still need to ask them how the Dodge data got involved since they are the only ones that know.
Anyone with experience in selling MV parts for any length of time such as the old time army parts dealers of yesteryear would not be rattled over the glitch.
I thought you fit into this group but perhaps not since you seemed to have been rattled by the data.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Me rattled? Not when it comes to 69 years of walking the walk and talking the talk starting with all the old time parts dealers of the 40's and lucky enough to be GI trained by WWII Ordnance types who also enjoyed the old O.D. trucks they drove and fixed in WWII/Korea.
Not many GI truck enthusiasts out there now who have witnessed hundreds of WWII trucks in fresh factory paint and untarnished data plates.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

[/quote]

Typical "newbie" error, it happens a lot.