Pioneer Rack

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Pioneer Racks

Post by Phil P »

Hi Migmatic.
I did apiece on pioneer racks some time ago including dimensions and basic easy to spot differances between the various ones. I have seen four differant ones but there are two that are seen the most ie pre 43 and 44 on. Early ones have a vertical matock bracket and later have the bracket at 50 degrees. I think I put 15 in my earlier posting. 'Fat digit syndrome' I fear. My previous posting still appears on another Dodge website with no mention of source or author. I did say at the time if it wasn't for plagerism some folks would have **** *** to write! They didn't copy that posting, I wonder why. Any way have a look it gives all the dimensions. The other two racks are similar but made from lighter material and I believe fitted to Jimmy's. Lighter because they fit on the engine bay side cover. I hope that helps. The position is another story. Inside the tail gate, outside the tail gate, (most common) vertically on the passenger side on the end of the tool locker, (WC62 & 63) vertically same position but on top of the locker on an angle frame (rare and probably a workshop mod) and on the body side as on WC54 ambulance.
There could be others I haven't discovered. No doubt some smarrass will tell you it's in the wrong place at a show. If they do, just ask them what vehicle they own. Ya' can bet ya' best boots they won't have one. Then lean over and whisper "well I have now go away." Or words to that effect!
Did I ever tell you I failed my course in diplomacy?
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by migmatic »

WOW!
Great replies to my quiry. Thanks everyone.
FYI I have a late model WC52 and I wanted to get the later style rack. I now know exactly what I should have.
Phil P., I don't know.., I think your definitely a dipolmat in the making. :)
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Phil P.

I think that's the artical/post I saw before. :? It was very detailed. Could ya direct me to where it is/was? I'd like to copy it for my own archives, but I promise, I'll give ya FULL credit. I had it copied before, but again, due to the great computer crash of 0something (?), it was lost. I am now almost fantical about making back ups. :oops: FYI: There was a picture on Gordon's old forum of a WC 53 with the pioneer rack mounted over the rear fender on the passenger side. It was in the PTO.

Thanks
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

pioneer racks

Post by Phil P »

Hi Ugg.
Sorry for the delay in replying but I can't reply from my works computor now as I am not registered on that one some whilst I can read I can't reply. Look on World War 2 Dodge Wiki. Go to Documentation and then restoration guides. You will see an item called Pioneer racks. I have noticed it has had a couple of extra lines from some one elses reply ref New Guinea. Best of luck. If you have a problem I will write it out again and e mail it direct. I have one of the later '44 racks that came off my '42 WC. I have since fitted the earlier verticle mattock type. On a slightly differant subject I have had a Low VoltageCircuit Tester model 17-T-5575 given to me complete and unused! as shown in the TM 9-808 paragraph 39 page 108. A friend of mine bought it in an auction for £4 about 6 dollars because nobody made a bid. He recognised it and offered the loose change in his pocket and it was accepted. He has also just bought an Otan? generatorset with 2 cyl flat head motor. Spotted it on e bay. Must go, giving the Hippo a wash to go out on our annual Poppy Day collection and parade.
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

pioneer racks

Post by Phil P »

Hi Ugg.
Sorry for the delay in replying but I can't reply from my works computor now as I am not registered on that one some whilst I can read I can't reply. Look on World War 2 Dodge Wiki. Go to Documentation and then restoration guides. You will see an item called Pioneer racks. I have noticed it has had a couple of extra lines from some one elses reply ref New Guinea. Best of luck. If you have a problem I will write it out again and e mail it direct. I have one of the later '44 racks that came off my '42 WC. I have since fitted the earlier verticle mattock type. On a slightly differant subject I have had a Low VoltageCircuit Tester model 17-T-5575 given to me complete and unused! as shown in the TM 9-808 paragraph 39 page 108. A friend of mine bought it in an auction for £4 about 6 dollars because nobody made a bid. He recognised it and offered the loose change in his pocket and it was accepted. He has also just bought an Otan? generatorset with 2 cyl flat head motor. Spotted it on e bay. Must go, giving the Hippo a wash to go out on our annual Poppy Day collection and parade.
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Phil P:

Boy, when you reply, you reply. :lol: Thanks for the direction. That's probably one of the places I read it. :oops: It may have even been me that added that New Guinea part. :oops:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

pioneer racks

Post by Phil P »

Ugg.
typical military, everything in triplicate! I don't know what happened there touch of the trembling digit. Anyway if it helped I am pleased. I am pleased. I am pleased. There I go again! There I.......
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

1/2 ton dodges

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day UGG.You are right again . 1/2 ton dodges were used in the pacific .There was a post a whilst back [Pacific junk yard ] i think from Lang showing 1/2 ton command cars and other, s rusting away in a New Guinae tip just out side Port Morsby .The Royal Aust Air Force also used 1/2 ton dodge, CC ,s in Aust [!941-1942 period ]There is a picture of 1/2 ton CC,s on the Ghan ,[train] going to Alice Springs 1941/42 . Ray.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Ray:

RIGHT AGAIN???? That's scary. :lol: You still at the library? Ya better hurry up and get your 'puter fixed, or break down and get a new one. Maybe even a Mac. My wife's really been on my ass about gettin her NEW one up & runnin. All I have to do is just plug it in the the outlet. :lol: Weren't the 1st 3/4 ton WC's produced in 42? When did "Lend Lease" start, 39 or 40?

Phil P:

Add FATFINGERITIOUS & CORNBALLITIOUS to that, and ya have ME! :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"