Wanted CCKW Split front axle hub with demountable brake drum

Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Wanted CCKW Split front axle hub with demountable brake drum

Post by Forgotten Field »

I need one front axle hub with demountable brake drum. Please PM with condition of what you have with price including shipping. Thanks!
Nothing to see here, just move along...
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: Wanted CCKW Split front axle hub with demountable brake

Post by motto »

I'm certain that these are identical to those used on the Studebaker US6. In that case I have what you want, either L/H or R/H. However, unless you have some cunning means of transporting said item to the US or wherever at no cost they are about as much use to you as a fart in a space suit.

I just wanted you to know of the interchangeability and that it may help to specify for which side otherwise you may need to swap all the wheel studs over.

Cheers

David
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Post by gyknot »

Well, I'm in the U.S., but not sure where you are located. I am just north of Spokane, Wa.
I'd have to go take one of my parts axles apart and dont have a lot of time to do that right now.
How big a hurry are you in and where are you located?
I'm guessing if I have a good one about $40 plus whatever it would take to ship it.
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Forgotten Field »

Thanks to both of you. I got a lead from somebody close by and am pursuing that first. If it doesn't work out, I'll be in touch with gyknot first.

It is my understanding that Studebaker axle assemblies are the same as CCKW splits. However, I have never placed them side by side to see if there are any differences. Timken did make other size axles- they were owned by Ford and made axles for GTB's and M20/M8 armored cars. So the chance that there might be differences is there. I just don't know for sure.
Nothing to see here, just move along...
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

The axle assemblies may well be interchangeable between the CCKW and the US6. I've not had occasion to find out. The front axle could even be identical but the rear axles are not. The brakes are different. The US6 uses similar brakes all around except the wheel cylinders on the trailing axle are bored out to a smaller size than the front and intermediate 1-1/4" as against 1-3/8". The CCKW split diff trucks use the same brake set up as the banjo diff on the rear. Some people refer to them as being a Huck brake.

David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The fronts may interchange on Split CCKW and US-6, Rear drums of Studebaker do not fit any CCKW. Same goe sfor wheel seals and most brake parts.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

As stated.

David