"Foot Starter" push rod grommet

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

"Foot Starter" push rod grommet

Post by Jim M »

I hope I am using the correct term, but the question deals with the foot starter push rod. What I am talking about is the foot starter push rod that goes through the fire wall to starter. It is the one that is pushed to start the WC.
Now is there a rubber grommet on/in the firewall that this passes through? I have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch play. Which can and does make starting a real pain in the ass! A rubber grommet would make sense and take up the play in the rod.
I was looking at the photos of Marks and his WC 55 and it looks like there is a rubber grommet in/on the firewall.
Thanks for being understanding on my numberous questions. But I want to do this right! And my ability to speak Manual/TM is limited :oops:

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Mark Cook
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mark Cook »

Jim,
You are correct, there is a bushing in place to keep the rod from getting too sloppy. I don't have a parts manual handy, but i'm sure there is a part number for it.
If you need more photos let me know.
Mark
Mark W. Cook
WWII Airborne Demonstration Team
http://www.wwiiadt.org
http://dodgewc55.com/
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Starter grommet

Post by Jim M »

Mark,
You are a life saver! Had looked at the firewall and saw the hole assuming that the whole had become enlarged from use over the years. Saw the pictures on your web site for your WC 55 and saw what I had hoped was some type of grommet.
Did not look forward to trying to weld the hole smaller :shock: the grommet makes it a whole lot easier!
Now just to try and track one of these little devils down :?

Thanks again!

Jim M
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Pedal

Post by JBizal »

No bushings or grommets were used for this application. The original starter pedal has a casting, and over the years, wears out. I have just reproduced new starter pedal assemblies to fix this problem. Correct for 3/4 and 1.5 ton WC series trucks.
http://www.midwestmil.com
John
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

John, do you have both types? There is one with the tabs opposite each other and on the late model trucks the tabs are at 90 degrees to each other.
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

pedal

Post by JBizal »

I think you are mistaken on that. I have never ever seen a starter pedal bracket with the tabs 90 degrees off. I have a 45 truck in the yard, and it is the same as the 42.
John
Mark Cook
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mark Cook »

Hi Jim,
I posted a couple of closer photos of the pushrod setup on my WC.
I did not get too close as I had my "good clothes" on, but it appears as if what I mistook for a bushing was indeed a casting as John pointed out.
Mark
Mark W. Cook
WWII Airborne Demonstration Team
http://www.wwiiadt.org
http://dodgewc55.com/
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by migmatic »

Jeez I hope there is only one type!
All I need is to search around for more stuff
I just have a rod and spring, where the rod fits through a casting, (too sloppy?) and the casting is bolted to the firewall??
I hpoe that's it
Peter
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Pedal

Post by JBizal »

The pedal consists of a button casting on the top for your foot, rod, spring and lower casting. The lower casting has the thru hole and bolts to the firewall.
John
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

John:

I just read about you in Supply Line, about a junk yard you found in NM. Is it still there?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Yard

Post by JBizal »

Yes, it is still there. Not much left however. There are some nice Ford G8T type trucks there. All the tactical truck stuff has been scavenged out by me and a number of other folks. A bunch of International parts trucks there. All big stuff like M5H6's.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Thanks John. My wife's scared about me going out to junk yards, not so much as to what I'll bring home, but just coming home, as most of the good stuff seems to be out west, and I HATE ILLINOISSSSSS! :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Foot Starter Rod

Post by Jim M »

Thanks for the words of advice! Will go out now armed with this knowledge and tackle this problem (I hope :? )

Mark,
Thanks for the pictures. Seeing what I am supposed to be looking for makes a difference. Some times the TMs not all that helpful.

Jim M
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Foot starter rod

Post by Jim M »

I was finally able to get out front and check under the hood of the WC to see what the problem might be, armed with the words of advice from the group.
It was a broken casting around the push rod that was the problem :oops:
Now armed with the needed part, I can replace this trouble causing piece and start fresh with the WC (no pun intented).
Thanks again to all for their advice and help!

Happy Holidays!

Jim M
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Post by David DeWeese »

[quote="Ugg"]John:

"I just read about you in Supply Line, about a junk yard you found in NM. Is it still there?"

If that's the yard in Gallup, there isn't much left to get. I took a pile of WC 53 stuff to a collector in Albuquerque a year or so ago on my way back from Montana, and saw some of the vehicles he had collected from there. He had a couple of very decent WC53's that he had aquired from Gallup earlier, and had just picked up two GTB's and a cool multi-passenger, stretch military limosine the same day I delivered the parts. Not much was left of interest now, from what he tells me.