TORA YORA TORA is coming, hide your CCKW

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

TORA YORA TORA is coming, hide your CCKW

Post by RANGER »

My CCKW is 65 years and 6 months old, it is a Veteran of that fateful moment that touched off the USA into WWII. Remember December 7th 1941.
I understand that the CAF has a Tora Tora group of aircraft thatvreinact the attack on Pearl Harbor, and that there are MVPA members that take part in the ground show at some of these events.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
42cckw
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 42cckw »

Hi Ranger
Speaking of the CAF and the Tora Tora group on another site there is a member Armydriver who claims to have flown with the CAF and Tora Tora group I think he said they flew converted texans made to look like Jap Vals , Wow what a lucky guy what a thrill that must have been , now why can't that ever happen to me, however I have flown solo many times in a Cessna 150 8) but I didn't drop any bombs :lol:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Thanks for the reminder, it is interesting to hear of fellow MV owners that flown Warbirds in the CAF, I wonder how long this person flew in the Tora Act. I understand that there has not been much turnover with the Tora Act. I did a little research today and their Leader has been the same for over for over 20 years and their pilots have to meet strict FAA and CAF qualifications, including a Fast Card Certificate and train with the precision of the Thunderbirds. I'll check him out. I have been watching his episodes with interest, at one time he was dispatched to pick up the legendary Tex Hill in a CAF B-25 and fly him to a reunion, another story puts him in a flight of Tora, Tora, Tora Warbirds to the Gathering of Eagles Air Show in Reno, plus 800-900 hours of right and left seat time in C-47, Military Attache to El Salvador, B-25 Plane sponsor, he also has a CCKW with paperwork tracing its history from issue to the AAF during WWII thru to its salvage in 1949. It is claimed that it is the only CCKW in the San Antonio Texas Area, but the latest MVPA Directory list around a dozen others in a circle around San Antonio, most are restored and active. There was something about his vehicle being part of the Tora Tora ground show, and also reported "but I don't do re=enactments." Interesting claims that are without merit.
According to CAF Membership records for the past 35 years the individual is unknown to the CAF and has never been a member. Only CAF members are authorized to pilot CAF aircraft, membership in any of the CAF sponsored Wings also require CAF membership as a prerequisite.

The longtime Tora leader has never heard of the person. The CAF sponsored Warbirds cost up to thousands of dollars per hour to fly, and only qualified CAF members that are current in those aircraft are permitted to fly them. It is obvious that the stories do not agree with CAF protocol and have to be considered false.

There is a lot of CCKW activity in the area, especially at Brent Mullins annual shindig. MVPA Lonestar Chapter lists a few CCKWs. This is a nice area for MV activities as the Lonestar MVPA appears at around two dozen MV activities, charity events and at several CAF Airshows, they are a great bunch of people.

Every December 7, the local Pearl Harbor Survivors in this area hold a memorial ceremony, I always attend as a representative of one of the many Veterans Posts. It would be very touching to have a WWII Warbird fly over during the ceremony.
Last edited by RANGER on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

For those WWII Vehicle enthusiasts here un the US, call your local VFW or American Legion Post to see if there is a ceremony scheduled for December 7, and if they would welcome your Jeep or 6X6. It is a great opportunity to meet a genuine Pearl Harbor Survivor from your community.

I noticed in today's paper (December 5) that Ken Taylor, who along with George Welch (famous North American aviation Co. test pilot) were able to urge two P-40 fighters into the air over Pearl Harbor and shoot down some of the attackers, has passed away.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The event at Pearl Harbor is now 65 years in the past, but is a lesson to be remembered. All of us on this site share a common bond thru WWII military vehicles, take a moment to reflect on why those vehicles exist.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

In regard to the topic of persons who make bodacious claims of being war heroes, having lots of rank, and claim to be Pathfinder Pilots, Rangers, Airborne, Military Aviators, and wearing their uniform of rank many years after retirement at burial ceremonies, there is an excellent book "Stolen Valor" by B.G. Burkett and Glenna Whitley that sheds light on the topic.
The book is excellent and depicts what makes imposters tick. It also describes how to spot them, one indication is that if a person claiming to be an officer looks like a blivot, he is likely to be just that, as true military veterans retain the pride and military bearing instilled in them from years of patriotic service and still retain the sharp look of an old soldier.
Some who claim to be men of rank and status take part in these forums.
There is one in particular who stands out, his claims are being researched by professionals and so far none appear to be true.
There is a complete roster of those who were members of the 7th Cavalry at Ia Drang in 1965, one MV owner claiming to have been a platoon leader during that battle, is not listed, nor has his claim of being a 101 AB Pathfinder Pilot and military pilot checked out. He is not listed as a member of the Retired Officers Association, nor recognized by personnel who served in his claimed units at the same time.

I have a good friend SFC George "Joe" Nye, who was a much decorated hero at Ia Drang, he served his flag and the US Army with honor. Joe was a small town National Guardsman who was a very inconspicuous mild mannered person. Vietnam was brewng and Joe believed he could better serve his country by joining the Regular Army. Joe proved that he had what it takes as mentioned in the book "We Were Soldiers Once... And Young." Joe went on to serve in other battles and was one Hell of a Soldier. Joe returned to civilian life but did could not leave a part of his Vietnam experience behind. He was Maine's most decorated Viet Nam Hero. On Christmas Eve 1991 Joe bought a Christmas Tree to place in the Lobby of the terminal at Bangor International Airport for the Troops returning from the Gulf War to see as they cleared Customs. Joe died of a heart attack before he could put up the tree. He was 51. His decorated dress uniform is on display at the Maine Military Museum, Augusta, Maine.

"Stolen Valor" is good reading, and friends of Joe Nye everywhere are watching.
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

So what does all this have to do with WW2 Military trucks?

Post by David DeWeese »

Ranger, I truly appreciate your sacrifice to our country, but bashing other MV owners claims of military service does nothing to further the cause that this forum was created for.
I don't care who flew what, and when and how long they flew it, nor do I want to participate in their attempts at de-faming others who claim they did.
I want to talk about WW2 Military trucks, and find parts and more information about them.
This kind of dialogue sheds a dark cloud on this forum, and I wish it would stop.
I just bought an early G506 close to San Antonio, and was thinking of getting in touch with "armydriver" on my return trip to secure needed parts for it.
Do I care about the authenticity of his Military record? No.
Not trying to offend you, just please keep your opinions in check and in focus.
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

I want to talk about WW2 Military trucks, and find parts and more information about them.
This thread has nothing to do with any of above, therefore I am closing this one.

Thanks for your reply David.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.