CCKW/M35 Master Cylinders

motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

CCKW/M35 Master Cylinders

Post by motto »

Could somebody tell me if there are any differences between the brake master cylinders used on the CCKW and the M35 trucks? Going by the photos in the M35 TMs they appear to be an identical casting although they mount differently.
Are they the same bore? CCKW=1-3/4"
Are they the same width? CCKW= 3-7/8"
What are the dimensions between centers for the three mounting holes in the side bosses (if drilled and tapped)? CCKW= 7/16"NF being 3" between lower holes and 3-1/8" between upper hole and each of the lower holes.
We don't have M35s here so local knowledge of them is non existant but I can purchase an NOS M35 cylinder in the US at a good price.
David
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: CCKW/M35 Master Cylinders

Post by Forgotten Field »

Do you mean the ones that are advertised on ebay, like the one linked below?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CCKW-DUK ... _500wt_900

BTW, that is item #180711894263 if the link doesn't work right. I purchased one from this very seller and put it on my CCKW when the rear dust cover let in some bad stuff that caught the piston. It bolted up nicely, but make sure you get your linkage attached in the right order and look out for the warped master cylinder holder that bolts to the frame. Also make sure you adjust your linkage correctly. There should be a little tension on the master cylinder so you don't have a lag when you step on the brakes. I didn't think this was right because it seemed like it was constantly applying pressure, but it doesn't.

Qualification- I haven't run the truck much on this master cylinder, but it seems to work right.
Nothing to see here, just move along...
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

Thanks for the information F.F. The master cylinders that I am looking at appear to be similar to the one that you purchased but one of the bosses is not drilled and tapped for the third mounting bolt in the side and probably the same on the other side that is facing away from the camera. This wouldn't have bothered me if it was the only difference that had to be sorted out.
The cylinders that you have gotten onto would probably be a better deal.
It appears then that CCKW and M35 master cylinders are interchangeable if they have the full complement of mounting holes.
Thanks again.
David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Same diameter and overall size, but be careful, newer M-35 Cylinders for some reason do not have the drilled and threaded side holes.
Ask the seller to be sure.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by motto »

Thanks Ranger. Good to have additional information and confirmation from another source.
David
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have good references. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it