Not an Army Truck

All other trucks not mentioned above.
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Not an Army Truck

Post by Forgotten Field »

But interesting anyway! I drug out this equipment when I made some moves yesterday and thought I'd post it here. I picked these up a while back and sold all but the one I kept. E.O. Habhegger was formed in 1927 to supply equipment to the gas and oil industry. They are still in business in PA and New Jersey, and this refueler is mentioned on their website. I found these in a warehouse on the East Coast and they were un-opened since WWII.

The test date on the card attached to mine says May 13, 1944. The manual for the item is TM 10-1135 and it covers the PD-1 and PD-1A refuelers. I believe the PR-3 is the USN designation, as the unit appears the same as the one in the book with a Wisconsin Engine. The one I have is serial numbered after the ones covered by the manual. The engine turns after a little effort yesterday. Note the tool box with jeep wrench- the worm and worm shaft weren't installed on the 9 inch auto wrench- I had to put the shaft in and peen it!

I am pretty sure these were used in combination with the F-1, F-2, and F-2A refueler trailers. The extra fittings in the cotton bags are adapters for different size hose than the 1 1/2 inch lines this one has. I am looking for a WWII refueling trailer to use with this one for when I do my Liaison Squadron Field Maneuver each year in September. I would also like to find photos of this unit in use during WWII. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8097163@N0 ... 452936657/
Nothing to see here, just move along...
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Not an Army Truck

Post by Gordon_M »

Nice little piece of kit.

Not sure the fuel hoses would still be OK after all these years, but a great display item.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Matt »

I have a full set of original manuals for the F-1A so I will have a look and see if your unit is mentioned.

Matt.
Forgotten Field
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Forgotten Field »

Gordon,
The hoses actually look useable. I tried to make the dry-rot cracks appear, but after vigorous bending, they didn't appear. I think they probably will appear after I work it a bit, but I'm not going to try change them until I have to.

Matt,
I appreciate you looking. Any chance of getting those manuals from you?
Nothing to see here, just move along...
Matt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Matt »

I can copy or scan the manuals I have. The originals are part of a much larger USAAF file covering all kinds of ground equipment. Give me some time as I'm working to a deadline on some research projects so need to complete those first.