CCKW BRAKE ADVICE

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

CCKW BRAKE ADVICE

Post by RANGER »

Avoid brake system technical advice from those who cannot properly spell the words of advice they proffer.
Also, before installing any of the non standard or alternate vacuum brake boosters suggested or offered by CCKW owners or parts venders, ask for detailed photos of their installation especially the details of vacuum line and brake tubing installation. Some of the installations are non standard and non compatible with existing CCKW brake components and the vendors offering the boosters do not offer instruction advice, a very dangerous practice.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: CCKW BRAKE ADVICE

Post by RANGER »

The best brake set up on CCKW is the type 3.
The Army issued a Type 3 Changeover Kit supplied by Bendix including Type 3 Hydrovac,all brackets, formed brake tubing, new vacuum hose and misc hardware, clamps spacers, J-bolts, etc. I have one NOS Kit left which will be installed on my SWB. For now the 1968 dated Type 1 Hydrovac installed new 20 years ago is functioning fine. The Type 1 was manufactured by Bendix of France at a late date for issue to those CCKWs still active. Original is the way to go, it is safer than the concoctions guesstimated by poor souls that should not be sold wrenches.

Before taking the advice from those suggesting school buss boosters, etc, ask for a photo of their installation detailing the vacuum hose, brackets, tubing and fittings, you may think twice.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Nick Bombini
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Nick Bombini »

Hi Ranger,

Any possibility of getting photos of your changeover kit? I'm upgrading the series 2 to the series 3 and need info on brackets.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick Bombini
---
'42 M7A1 Generator
'42 M7 Generator trailer
'43 CCKW 352 A2
'45 USMC mobile repair shop trailer
'45 GPW
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Patterns for these may still exist on the computor at the fabrication shop. The tolerance o the SWB is touchy. I had 7 kits made up from the factory original along with the necessarry spacers, fittings , bolts New Vacuum Hose and formed brake tubing. All I have is my one original kitstored away. I'll see what I can do. I may assemble more Kits in the near future.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Anyone buying brake boosters that have problems it is best to request a refund if the seller cannot help you get it to work.