And it continues..Building the new cargo bed (picture album)

daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

And it continues..Building the new cargo bed (picture album)

Post by daveyboy »

Well, its been a week or so since my last update. Last weekend, I worked on it more and got a pretty good handle on the assembly.

Not without issues though! Its been tough moving those heavy peices about all alone.

I thought that the side panels, with stake pockets and gussetts were ehavy.. After the subframe was built, and I added the side sub-assemblies, it really started getting heavy!

Then, when I test fit the one peice floor, I thought I was gonna drop from the weight! I managed to do everything you see ALONE... including fitting the floor, removing it and doing it all over again.. Its out now for me to finish the final welding of all the structures that I wont easily access once the floor is welded in.

I think this bed will weigh about 800 when done, so once that floor is in, Ill be needing some help to move it about. Ill be requesting assistance from a few freinds to set it on its side to weld the bottom up better.

I had some issues with "bowing".. all seemed straight while I was at it, but at some point one of the sides bowed a bit on me. I fixed that. Now all is straight.

Today, I got the tool box floor sheet metal home. This week I will fit that and the "filler" pieces between the floor and frame rail supports. Then I weld in the floor, tidy up the front stake pocket, and lots of cleaning up my welds with a grinder and sander..

then its off to a sandblaster to "clean it up" before primer.

Anyway, thought you all might want the see the progress.

http://public.fotki.com/dachoppa/buildi ... cargo-bed/

Again, Ill be adding more pix as I progress. thanks to all for the "at-a'boys" !!
Last edited by daveyboy on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Re: Building the new cargo bed (picture album)

Post by Ken J »

Are you using an old bed for the dimensions, or do you have a set of plans?
The Dodge Boys
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by The Dodge Boys »

That is some nice stuff there. You have a talent .Love the look and feel of new steel. Good Job. Bill. :!:
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

Hi guys.. thanks!

Yep, using the original bed , still on the truck, as a reference. used it to build a set of prints from as well, simple prints that any decent sheet metal placve can work to.

Using the bed to reference hole locations, tiew down placement and the like.

Your right. there is NOTHING like working with real nice clean new steel. Welding new stuff is a pleasure as comapred to rusty stuff not preped right.

aka “THE COUNT”
andy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: And it continues..Building the new cargo bed (picture album)

Post by andy »

Hey Dave, it was great to meet you yesterday. Your truck look great and the work you done on your bed is outstanding :) If you need anything, let me know and thank for the glass setting tape. Sent You a picture of my truck. You are right, I need a better camera :( Thanks Andy
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: And it continues..Building the new cargo bed (picture album)

Post by daveyboy »

hey andy! where you at? Still on the road I imagine?

Good meeting you too! your very much welcome to that little trinket.. that was nothing. I wish I had more parts for ya to help you along..

Anyway, your motor looks great....If you put that much enthusiasm into the rest of the truck, it will be a show winner when done!

Drop by anytime if your on your way thru, and we can meet should timing work out like the other day (i.e. end of work day)

See ya!

aka “THE COUNT”
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

UPDATED: Building the new cargo bed

Post by daveyboy »

added a few of the latest shots for all who may be following this project.

as you can see, its been "flipped over" so I could access the bottom side to complete my welding, adding the tool box tray, and variuos other tidding up underneath.

Quick primer and spray after a thorough grinding/sanding/degreasing/preping of the metal. Now I know why I didnt become a body man! What work to clean and prep!

Anyway, the underneath is nearly done now, and will flip over once again for the top side preping and painting...

After that, finish working on making the small frame alignment brackets, the front bed panle brackets, and cleaning up the U-bolts and plates.

Also started making wood frame to bed rails, filler blocks, etc. Got me a beautiful peice of stright knot free white Oak..

getting there!

http://public.fotki.com/dachoppa/buildi ... -5025.html

aka “THE COUNT”
andy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: And it continues..Building the new cargo bed (picture al

Post by andy »

WOW Daveyboy , it look great :) super job! Did You find new U-bolts or just clean up the ones You showed me? Thanks Andy