292 in G506

1ernie
Private
My garage: G506

292 in G506

Post by 1ernie »

I know there are some of you out there who have stuffed a 292 in G506; what did you cut to make it fit? Firewall, rad frame, front crossmember? I think I can make it work with just cutting the front crossmember to clear damper pulley and install elec fan. Elec fan seems most viable option to not cut firewall or rad frame. Not original but best way if some one wants to restore back to original. Thanks for the answers.
Ernie L.
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: 292 in G506

Post by daveyboy »

oh boy... yer asking for trouble posting that sort of blastphemy here!

(Actually, I know of a guy who did this. Will try to locate his email from him and pass along)

Dave
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
1ernie
Private

Post by 1ernie »

Dave, I was a regular at this site but left while my career took a different path; had to re-register to get back in. I have seen several posts in the past regarding the issue but did not find them in search on the site. Anyway, I have had my share of abuse from purists on this site and others. I respect those who believe these vehicles are a piece of history and should not be modified. My intent is to retain the integrity and improve safety and drivability of the vehicle while maintaining the military character.

I work for a German company and have many German friends and collegues; because they were once our enemy does that mean they should remain our enemy? Bottom line; it's my truck, my money, my decision.

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate any help I can get.

Ernie
Ernie L.
daveyboy
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by daveyboy »

I hear ya...

Well, a search of his past emails to me didnt show up. Its been nearly 3 years since, so I probably deleted them. sorry

He lived in California. His name was Walter T. Hanan (spelling?)

His truck is still pictured on the VoV site, but since the site format change, his email address is no longer there.

Maybe Bob at VoV has this info perhaps?

Anyway, good luck with the project..

Dave
"there is no sense living like Barbarians just because there is a war going on"

"Major Dietrich Wilhelm von Alsberg
aka “THE COUNT”
retro-roco
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by retro-roco »

I was of the inderstanding that the 292 block would bolt right in with no modifications?? Is this not so??
Kirk Gustafson
Item Coy, 23 Regt, 2 Inf Div
WWII HRS
1ernie
Private

Post by 1ernie »

292 is a slight bit longer and taller than a 235 and motor mounts are quite different. Sort of fits without the fan but new mounts have to be fabricated.

I'm not crazy about cutting anything but have the ability to cut and fabricate whatever is necessary. If I have to cut a crossmember I will take the original out, save it and fabricate a new one. That way the truck can be "restored" by the next owner. I'd like to experience from others so I don't end up reinventing the wheel. What I can't figure out is 302 is a direct replacement for 270 in the CCKW and engine compartment is basically identical in size to the G506. Is a GMC 302 that much smaller than a Chevy 292? Unfortunately previous owner of my truck stuck a 216 in in place of the 235 and the pan was full of water when I pulled it apart. 292's are lot easier to find, cheaper, much better selection of parts and best choice of power for a Chevy inline six.
Ernie L.
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Post by David DeWeese »

Hi,
The 250/292 type block uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block Chevrolet V-8. You will have to use a Muncie SM 420 four-speed behind it as the original transmission has a different bolt pattern. A cast-iron bellhousing from a '55-up V-8 GM truck with the motor mount castings will also be needed, and crossmember mods to mount it.
Thanks, David
1ernie
Private

Post by 1ernie »

David thanks for the input. I will be using a Muncie SM 465 that came with the 292, actually have two eng/trans sets. I dismantled a Chevy P model van and saved all the crossmembers, mounts, and anything else I figured might help with the conversion. Surprisingly the original parking brake assembly fits the SM 465. I've been buying/saving parts and done a lot of research but now I'm down to brass tacks. I do not want to do a botch job on this truck so now I'm looking for any tricks and tips on this conversion from all the pioneers out there.

Thanks again,

http://news.webshots.com/album/55828127XOjPUg
Ernie L.
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Post by David DeWeese »

Hi Ernie,
just for the sake of arguement, why don't you just go with a '55 and up full-pressure oiling 235/261? They are cheap, reliable and are as common as the 250/292. No crossmember mods and almost no fabrication. Use your old bellhousing and trans, or a '55 and later with your 465.
Thanks, David
1ernie
Private

Post by 1ernie »

David, thanks for the recommendation; I have also received it from others. I have had no problem finding 292's but 235/261's seem to be rather elusive. Living in the rust belt severly limits access to good clean parts. Maybe I just haven't done enough due diligence. Would definately make the project go a lot smoother.

Thanks again.
Ernie L.