pto qustion for Ranger of Steve G.

Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

pto qustion for Ranger of Steve G.

Post by Ernie Baals »

Hi
I have a French rebuild CCKW motor and tranny assm with a pto on it.
I gentleman is interested in buying it. He, and I would like to know if the pto for a DUKW is the same as the CCKW, I know that the output shafts would be on opposite ends, but are thet easly reversable. like the Dodge ones?
Thanks Ernie
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: pto qustion for Ranger of Steve G.

Post by RANGER »

The PTO used on the DUKW has about 99% interchangeability with the Dual Drive PTO as used on the Dump truck with winch. They all have the AuxilliaryDrive with the small shaft. TYhe difference is in the output shaft that drives the winch, the part number is different for the DUKW. The Arm on the Shifter Shaft for the DUKW is also a different part number. How different the shifter shaft arm and the output shaft that drives the winch, I do not know.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

and the motor is different too

Post by Gordon_M »

There's not a huge amount of difference, basic block and internals are the same, but things like the sump and so on are different to fit the DUKW hull configuration.

I have a list of all the things you need to change to put a truck engine in a DUKW and vice versa, but it's a couple of hundred miles away. I think it is in the GMC ORD-7-8-9, but it might be in the DUKW equivalent as I have both.

Bottom line is that if he has the original DUKW engine then swapping the parts is no big deal at all, but if he has a DUKW with no engine, and a truck engine, he'll have to buy separate DUKW stuff like the sump, or a wrecked DUKW engine, before he can fit it. Most of the diffrences are underneath too, so it's not like he can fit it first and adapt it afterwards.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: pto qustion for Ranger of Steve G.

Post by Ernie Baals »

Hi All
Thanks for the info
Ernie