GMC Book

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

GMC Book

Post by Robbo »

Another GMC book that has a few new CCKW & DUKW pictures including new GMC's at the factory holding yard:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com

Detroit's Wartime Industry: Arsenal of Democracy
Author(s): Michael W. R. Davis

ISBN: 9780738551647

About $20 but you can preview in Google Books by pasting the ISBN number into the search box:

http://books.google.com/
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: GMC Book

Post by RANGER »

Nice book, it will soon be in my library.(It's OK to ask the wife for a Father's Day gift)
Thank you Robbo.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Got it :thumbup:
It not only has good photos,but gives insight to how great American Industry can be.
I love the factory fresh side and 3/4 views of the CCKWs.and US-6 Studebaker 6X6 trucks
There is one miscaptioned M-135 Hydramatic GMC that somehow got "placed in a folder".
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

The Author says in the photo of the CCKW, DUKW and Jeep that the CCKW was known as a "Six-By or a Deuce and a Half or just a Deuce"??
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The word "Deuce" was not a WWII/Korean term, it surfaced during the 60s Vietnam period. It is hard to undo a habit.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Are there any 'under the hood' or assembly pics? I really don;t need another profile shot of a cckw.

Is it like the french book 'The GMC a Universal Truck' or more detailed?
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

The chapter on trucks is viewable in Google Books Preview - not a brilliant book but worth adding to one's collection - no under hood etc shots - just a couple of new ones.

Wish it were possible to get into that photo collection in the Detroit Library but not only do they not offer digital access, they actually charge non-residents a hefty fee to visit and use the facilities.

I have never seen that before anywhere else in the world.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Detroit is now a ghost town compared to the tax base it once enjoyed. Times are tough and the Library fees help defray operational costs. Some things are worth the price tho.