Choke & throttle cable length?

Darrin W
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Choke & throttle cable length?

Post by Darrin W »

How long do the choke and throttle cables have to be for the CCKW?

Thanks
Darrin
42/43 WC-57 Command Car
43 GPW + 43 MBT to carry all the family stuff
42 CCKW hard cabin cargo
41 Australian LP2 Bren Gun Carrier (field modified 3" Mortar carrier)
44 C60L CMP 3 tonne Cargo Truck
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Choke & throttle cable length?

Post by RANGER »

Darrin W wrote:How long do the choke and throttle cables have to be for the CCKW?

Thanks

I have NOS stored away, will open up a package and check the length the first chance I get. The Choke and the Throttle Conduit lengths vary for some reason. There is a difference in the needed length as the distance to the dash varies from Closed to Open Cab. The Closed Cab cables w/Conduit started around 39 1/4" (Choke), and 42" (Throttle). The Supercessions varied but added 1' to the length. There were also GM OEM replacement knobs with wire , they varied from 71-9/16 thru 90" and obviously had to be trimmed. I will try to check what I have, it may be a day or two before I will be able to get to them. Not sure if the measurements for the assembley are to the end of conduit, or to the wire, that will be evident when I check out what I have on the shelf.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The reason for the confusion that is listed in the Parts Lists is that on early CCKW trucks the orientation of the choke linkage varied 90 Degrees between some models of the Die Cast Carburetor and required different length cables. The model of the replacement carburetor used was not always consistant with the manual as time went on.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Cable overall lengths listed in the SNL's are those of the Knob and Wire within and are measured from where they attach to the face of the dash The Throttle Cables are overall 42" and the Choke Cables are overall 42". The Conduits are approx 3" shorter.
Darrin W
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Darrin W »

Thanks for the detailed and timely reply.
Now I know what to look for.
Darrin
42/43 WC-57 Command Car
43 GPW + 43 MBT to carry all the family stuff
42 CCKW hard cabin cargo
41 Australian LP2 Bren Gun Carrier (field modified 3" Mortar carrier)
44 C60L CMP 3 tonne Cargo Truck
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Unfortunately the Die Cast Metal OEM GM pattern cables have become extinct, and do not pop up in quantities that will stock dealers shelves. M-Series GMC Choke cables are out there but are a foot too short. Military pattern Cables with Stamped Metal Knobs for the Studebaker US-6 are out there but are the blank type made to use for either position., and these are in demand as they are the GPW Pattern.