How many different fold down windshields?

pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

How many different fold down windshields?

Post by pfarber »

This is an open cab only particularity i've noticed

It shows up in the TMs, but the SNL only lists FRAME GMC-2181054.. no superseded part numbers.

How many different outer windshield frames were there?
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: How many different fold down windshields?

Post by RANGER »

Only one.
Ranger-60+ years a CCKW man.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

There is ONE by the PN.. but there are SEVERAL variations.. like the wooden steering wheels... one PN, several different variations (4 IIRC).

What is that difference

When did it start?

Again, ONE is the wrong answer. And I have wartime pics and TMs that show several variations. You should know that I will not post unless I can back it up.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Take your pick they are pretty rare today.
I have a NOS crated CCKW 2180756 Open Cab complete Windshield Assembly that would be gone in an instant without question when offered for sale.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

You probably never noticed it.. but I have.

The outer frame has what appears to be a wind or rain gutter on the vertical post where the glass is.

There are AT LEAST 3 different variations. From NO channel, to a small channel, to a large channel.

The difference is also in the door mounting hinges. They need to be longer to accommodate the rain/wind gutter.

I'll post pics of the exact difference... but they are factory, and they are different.

Bonus points for me!!
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Here is page 29 from TM9-801 July 1944

I've highlighted the channel. This is the 'large' variant.
gutter.gif
Note the door hinges are long to accommodate the channel.

The other varients are a small channel, to none at all.

My guess is that the channels were initially placed then enlarged to help seal the cab from the weather.

When I get more time I'll dig up the other variants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Door hinges too long to accomodate the channel? Good idea. Your sketch is not clear, and you are misinterpreting the illustration on page 29, it is correctly manufactured and will accomodate the side curtains just fine. Are you sure they are all CCKW mods?.
What are chances of you matching what you percieive as correct to your specific truck?

RANGER-6 Decades a CCKW man :thumbup:
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

If the sketch is not clear its on page 29 of the 44 TM9.

Its not specific to my truck.. my truck had them removed.. I can see where the channel was ground down.

When I was in California I noticed it on the 5 cabs that were out there. Some had them, some had large, others had small channels.

The 45 tipper I have has none, but I cannot vouch for originality of the frame as it was an obvious french rebuild/service...
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

pfarber wrote:If the sketch is not clear its on page 29 of the 44 TM9.

Its not specific to my truck.. my truck had them removed.. I can see where the channel was ground down.

When I was in California I noticed it on the 5 cabs that were out there. Some had them, some had large, others had small channels.

The 45 tipper I have has none, but I cannot vouch for originality of the frame as it was an obvious french rebuild/service...

The Illustration on P 29 TM9-801 is correct. The Side curtains will fit just fine.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Here's the original pic:

http://www.cckw.org/remagen_bridgetipper.jpg

Heres the close up of the channel and the and the extended hinge:
gutter1.gif
This is obviously a late 44/45 picture so we knows its a WWII production truck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

heres the other version. This is the original pic:

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/ ... 02151d.jpg

Not sure of the year.

Heres the detail of the channel. Note that the hinge is ABOVE the channel and it the channel is not as wide.
gutter2.gif
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Bottom line is that the doors all interchange. You are apparantly interpreting something that does not exist.
You do realize that you are pointing to the wire loop, don't you?

RANGER-6 decades a CCKW man.
Last edited by RANGER on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

pfarber wrote:heres the other version. This is the original pic:

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/ ... 02151d.jpg

Not sure of the year.

Heres the detail of the channel. Note that the hinge is ABOVE the channel and it the channel is not as wide.
gutter2.gif
You are pointing to the Wire Loop that the front corners of the cab top attach to. All Open Cab CCKWs have the loops in the same location-no variations.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Those are crappy pics.. no wire hook would show up that prominent. At best that wire loop was 1/16th an inch diameter. Does the part I am pointing to look like its 1/16th in diameter? The camera has to be about 10 feet away from the truck.

I have to dig out my camera to get some clear shots... but I wanted to post something to get the ball rolling.

I agree all the doors fit all the trucks, but the placement of the hinges were changed to accommodate this channel.

I know, I know.. I have to post pics...
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

One thing is for sure.. we can clearly see that there are NO passenger side mirrors! :lol: