XX

The Dodge Boys
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: NO NEED FOR EXTRA FUEL FILTERS

Post by The Dodge Boys »

Hey Guys take a step back from the glass and take a breath once in a wile. Fuel filter what ever floats your boat. Bill. :!:
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Shhhh !

Post by Gordon_M »

(Don't upset them - if they weren't arguing about that they'd be arguing about something else...)
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

The SNL9 from portrayal CLEARLY shows it. On both die cast and cast iron.

The Carb rebuild TM9-1827A (IIRC) CLEARLY shows it.

The carb rebuild section of TM10-1563 does not show it, but the parts book TM10-1500 does. I assume that they TM10 is using 'stock' rebuild photos from the manufacturer. The 1827A lists at a few variants of the 28AV family. I know the V stands for verticle venture, I think the A stands for Automobile use.. what does the 28 and 11 stand for???

I agree that there is absolutely NO mention on what its for, or why you would use it... but its there.

Since we have documented proof that TMs are not 100% accurate what should you take as the authoritative source? The fact that say 3-5 TMs clearly DO show the part, or the ONE that does not?
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

So you are saying that all tms are wrong?

That period pictures and official photographs are NOT to be considered?

I can only list the things I can prove, in black and white... and what I have seen on other trucks. The SNL lists PN GM-2196082, the zenith carb number 9778 was consistant from 41 on.

TM9-1826C 'Ordenance Maintenance CARBURETORS (Zenith) shows the plug in *EVERY* assembly/parts drawing, yet omits is in functional drawings.

TM9-801 April 43 page 102 fig 40 CLEARLY shows the plug.

TM9-801 April 44 page 162 fig 57 CLEARLY show the plug.

They are completely seperate pictures. Not the same one used in both TMs.. they took new shots for the 44 TM and its there... bright as day.

TM10-1563 August 42 is very hard to tell. Most pictures have very little detail and teh only good show of the side of the carb is on page 06M-9 fig 22.. it looks like a plug is there, but I am only 30% on it due to the low picture quality.

One VERY interesting discovery is that for the same carb, the TM10-1500 lists 63 parts, the SNL lists 69... I have not gone through line by line to catch the differences... but my guess is that the plug and gasket are of the 6 not listed in the early TM... for watever reason.

As for your 60+ years of experience... yes. I learn a lot from your posts. But I know from MY experience that even the sagest of the sage can be incorrect. A good student is an inquisitve one, and will question what needs questioned.

Some people take that as disrespect or a poor attitude. I do not. I call it learning. Yes, sometimes the it is beating a dead horse... but its the minutia of the trucks that makes them so interesting. And finding the answers, or the errors is part of the fun.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I have yet to see what I would call a 'correct' cckw (as it would have come off the production line).

I was looking over the tankograd book and even on the inside cover I saw at least 2 new errors that would never have happened. And these trucks are probably from 'knowledgeable, experienced' restorers.

Hint: No way a GMC logo brush guard is on the same truck as one with tool mounts on the running boards. SSSTTTRRRRIIIIKKKKEEEE OONNEEE!!! I'll leave it to you to find the rest.

And if I remember the Red Ball meets in NJ once a month... that's a 2+ hour drive. Maybe if they had a conference call for the meetings or taped it/recorded it for others to see?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: NO CCKW NEED FOR EXTRA FUEL FILTERS

Post by pfarber »

hahaha you have not even looked up the TMs.

I am beginning to doubt that you even OWN the TMs I cite.

The drawings are wrong up to the Jan 1943 TM10. The TM9 4/43 FINALLY has the correct picture figure.

I guess I will need to post more pictures because RANGER evidently does not have the TMs he claims to.

It OK RANGER, I'll help you out if you need me to xerox a page or two and mail them to you. Just let me know what pages you need.