I DONE SINNED

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

I DONE SINNED

Post by RANGER »

The seat bottom cushions in my Open Cab were professionally made with care by Mike Sinkovic, the King of Canvas. They consisted if precisely cut bottoms from 5/8" Marine Plywood with special high density 5" foam seat cushion material, and the proper OD Duck used special for seat GI seat covers. They were superior to the thin CCKW Open Cab seat bottoms with the thin springs. My ass said "thank you" for 20 years. One plus was that the thick bottoms gave me a better view over the hood.

Be careful when having foam cushions made up, not all foam is equal, the ones from Beachwood feel like wood planking.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ken Blythen
Corporal
Corporal

Re: I DONE SINNED

Post by Ken Blythen »

For a moment there I thought we were going to hear that you'd fitted electric wipers & a 12v alternator :D
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

:shock: I will try to respond. Give me a few years.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I am sure that there are some WWII and Korean War Veterans that have long term back problems from sitting on the original seat bottom that have very thin cushioning over the hard thin original springs. they had to have endured a heck of a pounding to their back.
36th Tom
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1942 MB
MKT-85 Field Kitchen

Post by 36th Tom »

But Ranger, Is this also not part of the MV Experiance?!? :lol:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is if someone wants to suffer. The original seat bottoms are not suited for drivers under 6'5". I had the originals installed at first.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

When I changed from the Open Cab to the Closed Cab, I removed the pioneer tool brackets for the shovel on the drivers side, and the mattock and axe brackets from the passenger running board and left the mounting holes intact and visible.
The holes were punched by the factory.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I also installed a RH Mirror and Arm, using an exact duplicate of the left side, this is a must in modern traffic and when backing up alone. Correct Army procedure requires an assistant to help one back up an army truck.
The Closed Cab CCKW is a bit harder to back up using the mirrors, especially if the windows are up as there is a glare problem.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

OEM Mirror Arms are desireable, but there are some excellent repros available from John Bizal at Midwest Military.
I have seen some extra long homemade non adjustable arms done by hammering the ends flat and drilling a hole.(they must vibrate something wicked)
I was fortunate to be given a NOS pair by Bob Rubino.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I installed the latest issue GM-269358 Steering gear with beefed up Sector Shaft and Pitman Arm. It has the horn contact inside the cab and not on the engine side of the firewall as the original had. I don't think it is going to make a difference to those with common sense and good judgement.

6 decades a CCKW man. :wink:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

A thermostat from an M-59 APC is installed, the M-59 with twin GMC 302 Engines uses a unique 160-175 Degree Pellet type Thermostat by Detroit Lubricator Co. They are known for their reliability. They are virtually extinct at the old time established Military truck Parts dealers.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My NOS 40 Amp DELCO 2 Bolt Voltage Regulator came in a 1943 dated IH marked box, it was for the 5 Ton 4x2 IH KB-11 Dump Truck. The boys at Memphis Chambersburg were good at surprising me with rare trinkets.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I installed a NOS WARNER TRANSMISSION SHIFTING COVER made for the Studebaker US-6, it is identical to the CLARK used on CCKW and came with a NOS Knob.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My NOS CCKW Muffler is dated 1962 in plain sight. The NOS Exhaust Pipe is also post war. Tailpipe is by MIDAS copied from NOS CCKW that I keep for a pattern.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

My 1941 CCKW has Motor Wheel, Budd and Firestone wheels dated 1942-45.