CCKW 352 SWB Spare Wheel Lock

Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

CCKW 352 SWB Spare Wheel Lock

Post by Robbo »

I don't suppose this is one of these elusive locks - how did they fit onto the threaded wheel securing stud - through it, over the end like jeep/Dodge or some other way?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: CCKW 352 SWB Spare Wheel Lock

Post by RANGER »

CCKW 352 Spare Tire Lock was not a padlock, it utilized the H-700 Key.
I have never seen a genuine LWB lock, it was supposed to be a pad lock.
These do not show in the manuals as they were discontinues very early in the war.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

So if it's not a pad lock then is it like the Chev lock pictured below.

One thing I do know about the LWB pad locks is that WW2 ones tend to have the chain attached to the body of the lock whereas the modern equivalent seem to have the chain attached to the staple/hasp part of the lock. The other point worth noting is that many of the GMC tools had the letters GM inside a square stamped into them so there is a good chance the locks may be likewise stamped - may help you to spot one in the flea market.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Most present day U.S. stamped padlocks have a hasp that is too large, plus the key will be wrong.

Something strange on the pic above is that there appears to be an inner wheel nut securing the Spare Tire bracket to the chassis.
I have never seen a detailed picture of the LWB/G-506 spare tire depicted in a manner that makes it easiy to identify. Been looking for over 30 years.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

The Chev lock above seems to fit over either the stud or the attaching nut - maybe the nut has a groove around its circumference to take the lock but it would make more sense to have the lock on the stud like the Dodge etc.

I suspect maybe that the Chev/and LWB GMC tyre carriers may have changed from the design depicted above to a lock through the stud at some point??
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Check the part number history starting with the 1941 TM10 thru the latest ORD9 SNL. Got a feeling most of these little jewels got recycled.

Note that the photo is airbrushed, it may not be accurate.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

If these locks exist anywhere, there's good chance that one or more might one day be found in Australia as we got mostly early equipment and some US personnel here had a persistent habit of selling off vehicular accessories for beer money - at one point there was a problem with servicing vehicles as so many grease guns and tools had been sold.

Pity we still don't know what they look like.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I have spent some serious bucks getting as far as I have come. got a good hint on the SWB from 1941 photo of GIs servicing a CCKW 352 just a few hundred vehicles later than mine. Note that I have offered some big ticket CCKW accessories as reward.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Still looking for the SWB Spare Wheel Lock.