Ranger's New Look GMC

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Ranger's New Look GMC

Post by RANGER »

Notice the NOS early 1st Series Door Handles?

THANK YOU BOB RUBINO.
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Damn, this aint helpn my deep desire for a closed cab 352 none at all!

Steve A
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Ranger i appreciate the offer for help. One of these days.I may have to sell the restored WC52 to do it, but in my heart i am a big truck guy. I love the Dodge for sure but its almost to small.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Its a nice truck. I mean absolutely no disrespect, and I will be the first to admit my truck is 4 colors, wrong bed, and 12v... but it is my quest to get it RESTORED correctly. So I am learning what correct is. I really only care about the 43 open cabs (3rd or 4th series to use that terminology) so I am a little weak on the closed cab or early versions.

These are old pics and do not show the details:

fuel pump
fuel bowl and shutoff valve
lower radiator hose
does the carb have the fuel plug
hydrovac ?

your oil filter should be white
you upgraded to 40A neg ground but I do not see any radio suppression
wrong steering wheel, and it should be OD.
your missing the cab plug over the cab/frame bolts (passenger side)
your drivers running board appears to have a pioneer tool mount. No tools were mounted on running boards till late into production. At least 1943
not the correct engine

The biggest contradiction I read is from the original picture thread:

"The upgrades all contribute to a more reliable CCKW than it would have been had it stayed the way it drove out of the factory. "

HERESY!

There was *nothing* wrong with the truck from the factory. The electrical system (6v pos Ground) lasted into the 60's IIRC for some civvy vehicles. The upgrades were simply to standardize the maintenance.

As I've said before.. I give this truck a C. Its average. Its not factory.. you could argue it it 'correct' but that's NOT what ranger has been lecturing us on.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

You can think all you want, the truck is a work in progress, the pics are from Oct 07 and taken the day the Cab installation allowed it to drive out of the shop. The truck consists of ten thousand parts, the handfull of small things will take care of themselves.
I may want to install suppressors, but it is not a priority, as they can be added years from now or by the next owner I think I have them all, they can be trouble because of age. (some short out)
Oil Filter is right out of the box, I am proud of the find-look at the beautiful decals that came on it.
Why paint and ruin a beautiful steering wheel, linseed oil finish is the only way. The Wood Steering Wheel is wrong for my truck anyway. I traded my NOS hard rubber type to a generous friend who needed it.
Cab front plugs are now installed, I have plenty of extras
Running Boards are now strapless.
Windshield divider is now OD. I have 0ver $600.00 in the windshield.
Don't you dare tell me I do not have the correct engine, I built it from a NOS bare block and parts with all the upgrades to eliminate sludge and lubrication problems, with all NOS bolt on parts and accesories, it even has the latest GI Issue Die Cast Carburetor from a 1989 contract with adaptor for late Air Cleaner. What do you think of that?
You missed the latest Steering Gear installation, the original had the horn contact under the hood. I'll bet you didn't notice that there is no black chassis enamel under all the OD paint, but there is a coat of whatever primer the Maine Central Railroad shop used after they got done with the "black beauty" abrasive :wink:

Farby, I could fiddlefart with insignificant details and spend my time PO-ing all kinds of vendors, but that is not how I do things. I do not think that was necessary with all the friends and years of good contacts I have that unhesitatingly dig into their private stashes to come up with the necessary rare parts (like the NOS firewall pad) and rare cosmetic trinkets that they set aside to help others that practice a two way street. It makes for a running truck that can be enjoyed by all in a reasonable time. The small stuff takes care of itself in time. There are dozens of minor details that are unnoticeable. (I left them all off just for you to discover)

Upgrades are necessary, If you think otherwise, you have lots more to learn. I shudder to think what my truck would look like after a few days in your possession.
Just one example, without the PCV system, a CCKW will turn motor oil into sludge just by backing it out of the shop a few times and driving it right back in.
CCKW upgrades were ongoing as long as the CCKW was in the military, as an Ordnance trained mechanic I appreciate them because of the improvement.

See you at Aberdeen they may even have a Firewall Pad there. I will have a handfull of Red Ball locals watching for a spare. :wink:
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I didn't miss much. I don't mean to berate the truck but point out the gross errors. The engine is wrong. It may be ok for a later 43 on model, but not a 41-42. If it is a 'replacement motor' where are the stencils? Should have one on the rocker cover, correct? Two more that could not be seen on your photos. The oil filter should be white. If I pulled a green oil filter out of a box that make it correct? Your carb should have a fuel plug, your lower radiator hose should have a metal center section. Those are defining CCKW characteristics.

I was under the impression that your CCKW was a factory class original NOS unit. Your posts lead me to think that... that's why I asked to see pics. Its good to know that even your truck is a CCKW salad like the rest of us.

I know the 100 point factory CCKW probably does not exist. And I admit my truck would probably score in the low teens in all honesty.

I hope you don't take this personal. I am not attacking you.. just discussing parts and trucks. What should go where, and when it should be there. That's part of the fun. Its not an attack (a good ribbing, at best) and my intention is not be be hostile towards anyone.

But wrong parts is wrong parts.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

There's too much sloppy work around here Captain Fanbelt - if you don't pay attention to what the experts say, you'll end up with something like this halftrack :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Right On :thumbup:
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT ROBBO. :thumbup:
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drbob1961
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by drbob1961 »

Hi Ranger,
Nice job! Did all CCKW's have white stars painted on them?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Ranger,
You have inspired me to take the plunge. The Dodge will be going up for sale as soon i can get the pics ready.I am also deligently searching for a decent 352 closed cab to restore.

S. Amason
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

XX
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Ranger, so far i have only been able to locate two 352's on this side of the pond. Both are in need of pretty much every thing mechanicly. I have always been of the opinion that if you gotta buy parts why not buy the correct parts, It makes no sence to me to spend the money on incorrect parts.
My question for you is are parts such as starter, generator, regulator(6 volt of course) Thats another thing. Why in the world do people think they gotta rip out thier 6 volt and chage it to 12v? That bugs the sh#$!t outta me.
Anyhow, are tranny parts/bearing gears seals gaskets available?
Engine overhall parts?
Spare tire rack?
Thankyou for your advise