Paint for WWII German Vehicles & Equipment

'FOR SALE' and 'WANTED' Make sure the LOCATION section of your profile is completed, or at least post your location on individual adverts.
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Paint for WWII German Vehicles & Equipment

Post by halifaxgroup »

A project that I have been working on has finally come to fruition.

Bob Rubino and Jim Gilmore asked me to replicate the original Ordnance Tan used by the Germans in WWII. As most of you are aware, this color came into play in 1943 and was used on the overall majority of vehicles from that time forward. About twelve years ago, using original wartime examples, I replicated a shade that was common on many small and medium sized ordnance items. Lafette mounts, gas cans, scope cans, oilers, etc. I rebuilt and painted about six MG-34 and MG-42 Lafette mounts with this paint. This shade was custom made in a single part lacquer based product. This type of paint is not really an option with current VOC regulations.

Utilizing my previous research, original German paint chip cards and the excellent reference Wehrmacht Heer Camouflage Colors 1939-1945 by Thomas Chory and translated by Charles Kliment, I was able to replicate Dunkelgelb RAL 7028.

I now have Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 paint is stock. Like the Lustreless Olive Drab it is a catalyzed urethane and will outperform synthetic enamels. It uses the same catalyst (ODC-31) as the other urethanes. This paint was produced in limited quantity and I have no plans at this time of producing a second run.

So if you are painting any WWII era German vehicles, artillery pieces, equipment, helmets, etc., the doubt as to having the right color and shade has been eliminated. If interested send me an email. The price of $85/gallon is the same as the Lustreless Olive Drab Shades. Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer