BLUE DRAB?

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

BLUE DRAB?

Post by RANGER »

Remember, some of the 1941 CCKWXs and some 1941 CCKWs used white USA registration numbers.
Last edited by RANGER on Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I get a kick out of some of the newbies that remark that WWII factory blue drab is not visable after 6 months and has to be repainted.
What about well preserved 60 year old Blue Drab USA Numbers on CCKWs and Jeeps that have sat derelict in the weather for 60+ years?

Sometimes the Blue Drab registration number is in better condition than the OD paint that is under it.
Them WWII Jeep WWII.Jeep, they gotta get creative to sound interesting.
Nabholtz did say "the hobby peaked years ago".

The pay off is when the guys that boast of cheap substitute model airplane paints found at the local bargain barn, advertise their "ground up" 100% factory spec restoration. Your prospective customers will remember you.

The newbies on those factually diluted jeep sites get their jollies by "one upping" the experts and opting for Testors model airplane paint costing pennies and believing the diluted stuff in the bottle is going to perform like a real automotive finish.

Wonder if anyone with a 40 Grand finish on a 1.5 Million dollar P-51 restoration has consitered that he could have painted his Mustang Fighter for a hundred bucks.

This is what I mean by history revisionists, the MV hobby is overpopulated with newbies that dilute fact. :roll: AND PAINT
Last edited by RANGER on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Hardbird
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hardbird »

I know that this has been mentioned before by both myself and Ranger, but since this thread is specifically about blue drab paint I thought it should be posted once more.

Here is the place to get the best quality and most accurate blue drab paint available today. Reproduced from the actual item!

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/products.asp

I have talked to Paul in person. He knows his product and does the proper research & development before releasing anything for sale. No compromising! You can count on this product to exceed your expectations.

Ron
Ron Leatherman
Albion, Indiana
MVPA #28954

1943 Autocar M15A1 / M16A1 Half-track
(converted to the M3 standard)

http://www.mv-restoration.com
CCKW353
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CCKW353 »

Ron,

I have it on my truck and will get a picture to post soon. It looks GOOD :!:
Mark Mason
Anderson, Indiana

GMC CCKW 353
1 Ton Ben Hur
MVPA #29624
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Gotta tell ya, paint is not a subject understood by the majority of MV collectors, but is well understood by those who understand paint chemistry and have the dedication plus resources to make authentic WWII colors become a reality. Most want the correct color, but the reality of a champagne appetite and beer pocket book sort of has an influence on final choice.
Hats off to those who care enough about our hobby to make it great as can be.
Lee Iaccocca said it right, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way".
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Am getting close to determining when ealy CCKWs went from White registration numbers to using Blue Drab.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on USA Registrations being "Hand Painted" on MB/GPW, M-38/M-38A1, CCKW. Much of it comes from newer generation of MV Collectors with their one and only vehicle.
There are factory photos of CCKW and MB/GPW showing paint mask.
What happens is that the "newbies" outnumber the experts and a consensus is formed. Perhaps someeday we will have pink Jeeps and CCKWs similar to the pink B-24 Liberators and pink P-40F Warhawks.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

There is a lot of misinformation out there on USA Registrations being "Hand Painted" on MB/GPW, M-38/M-38A1, CCKW
Dodge used paper stencils for their hood numbers too as there are good factory pictures of this operation - however check out:

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/fsa/8e10000/8 ... 10720v.jpg

White "Halftrac" getting its number in Dec 41 - things would have sped up later in the war.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I seem to remember the photos in Ordnance Sergeant showing a CCKW Van being masked for the USA registration.
REMINDER:
We are talking factory stenceling, and not what happened in the field overseas.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

What is lost in all this discussion is WHERE the painting was done. At the factory or at rear areas, vehicles could and would be painted in the PROPER method. I have pic's of the reg #'s being painted at Round Mound, & they were white, and they were sprayed (masked too).

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It is obvious that Blue Drab was for the most part factory, most pictures we are exposed to in war zones have vehicles painted in the oversize 4" white hand made stencils. Intact vehicle registrations appear to be Blue Drab until 1945, and then not all manufacturers were on the same page.

Ranger, aka "so and so", "Name that can't be mentioned"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Some of the nitpickers at the left coast peanut gallery now want to find out if the TM9 Ordnance Blue Drab spray paint is going to live up to with the US Army WWII claim that it would probably not have an effective life of over 6 months. Does this same left coast peanut gallery intend to refinish their Jeeps annualy because of the life expectancy of Lusterless Olive Drab Paint? I think hardly not. Damn good thing these guys were not involved with WWII tactical vehicle development.
I have a can of TM9 Ordnance Blue Drab and I just know that there is enough in the can to respray my USA number every six months for years. Why do you think they only sell it in 12 ounce cans instead of cheaper smaller cans? I am sure going to be disappointed if this stuff is good for more than 6 months. :wink:

Ranger, aka "name that can't be mentioned"
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Perhaps they are the same people who say the GMC motor will only last 10,000 miles between overhauls! :)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Why do you think I got rid of my spare 270? I was mad at it for not being worn out and wanted to stick the new owner with an engine that would not quit.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Blue Drab topic has shown up on other MV sites and the amateur nitpickers were one upping each other ad nauseum. What would have been more pitiful would to have seen the vehicles of those critics, some were painted with spray cans and model airplane paint. there was a guy "Name that can't be mentioned" that tipped off the true experts to the dog and pony show.
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

I mixed ink for years at my job as a press operator.

No one is gonna tell me that they can mix two pints, gallons, barrels or tankers full of paint and have them match.

Even with our color corrected lights, pantone color guides and electronic scales we would have 'discussions' on weather the customers selected pantone number was what was being put on the paper.

THen comes the art of simply getting the ink/paint on the media. Pressures, flow, the distance and speed at which the paint/ink is applied, humidity, base coat prep etc..... no way you gonna have every vehicle match your mythical 'standard color'.

Then add into the mix wartime production and shortages?

So when some guy holds up a can of paint from 1944 and *SELLS IT* of course it's the correct color... ITS IN HIS BEST INTEREST TO SAY THAT $$$$$$$$$
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger