CC 4 wheel Disk Brakes & Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
GG
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

CC 4 wheel Disk Brakes & Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

Post by GG »

Well after six years I finally pulled the trigger and installed 4 wheel disk brakes and a dual master cylinder setup of my own design.
Spent all my fall, and winter seasons in quarantine, a good amount of money, and a lot of math on braking calculations, but now I have a truck that stops on a dime.
A little more adjusting on the proportioning valve on some dry pavement this spring and I should be all set. Time will tell !
My driveway is snow covered right now and I refuse to drive on the local town roads due to the chemicals they put down to melt the ice & snow.
If you click on the pictures attached you can go to my, Postimages Account and select the albums for Disk Brakes and Dual Master Cylinder to see more pictures.
GG
1942 WC 58
1950 Dodge B2B
1950 CJ3A
1943 WC 63 (Sold)
BobRedfern
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Re: CC 4 wheel Disk Brakes & Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

Post by BobRedfern »

GG, that is very impressive..... I have a 42 Command Car and a 42 Carryall that I would like to do this to both of them..... pls send me an email to Bob@BobRedfern.com, I would like to know where I can purchase the entire set up for both of my vehicles... thanks, Bob

www.BobRedfern.com
www.MilitaryCollectorsTV.com
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I had a Command and Carryall and both of them stopped very well indeed. I can see the attraction of discs, but to my mind you'd need a more powerful motor, lower gears, higher top speed, upgraded steering, and so on. Basically re-engineer the lot.

The golden rule is keep all the original parts and don't charge anything that can't be changed back.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
GG
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GG »

Gordon
"The golden rule is keep all the original parts and don't charge anything that can't be changed back."

I did keep all the original parts so when I decide to sell the buyer can change back, if they want.
Kept changes to a bare minimum while upgrading to better stopping power and road safety.
Only drilled two holes in the frame for an extra support bracket that really was not needed but I installed it any ways as on over design.
I like the low gears, double clutching, two handed steering that develops arm strength and 6 cylinder engine.
If I need speed I have new toys for that.

I got tired of redoing wheel cylinders over the years.
More than ten years ago I even had the master cylinder and brake cylinders brass sleeved.
Then I even changed/tried silicone brake fluid.
Quality wheel cylinders rebuild kits are hard to find, tired of the all cheap Chinese rubber crap!

So, I decided to go with disk brakes and up grade to a dual master cylinder.
The only bad parts in the disk brake conversion kit were Chinese calipers otherwise its all USA made, and I will replace them next winter !

The Japanese in WW2 did not kill my dad, but the Chinese virus killed him in just four days !

GG
1942 WC 58
1950 Dodge B2B
1950 CJ3A
1943 WC 63 (Sold)
Adam in Wa
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 48 Power Wagon
42 WC53
71 Dodge Challenger R/T

Post by Adam in Wa »

Excellent work. I clicked on your pics and it goes to Postimage for that photo, but I cannot select an album. Could you post a different link perhaps. I would love to see the details on the caliper brackets, and m/cyl adapter. Also, the hub/disc machine work.

Sorry about your Dad!
GG
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GG »

Links to postimages web page for Disk Brakes and Master Cylinder upgrades.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/ycjHW2S
https://postimg.cc/gallery/YqvMCnC

Hopefully you should be able to copy one into command line and gain access to album.

GG
1942 WC 58
1950 Dodge B2B
1950 CJ3A
1943 WC 63 (Sold)
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC-57

Post by Loffy770 »

Nice work you have done.
Do you share your parts listand bracket design if I ask fori?

Sorry to hear about your dad, been there.