Glass bowl sediment

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Glass bowl sediment

Post by PareosWC »

I'm getting some small amount of fine, black, sediment that is settling in the Carter fuel pump glass bowl; I believe that I may be picking it up from the restored fuel tank.

My question is: Would it be prudent to not only clean out that sediment, but to drop the firewall fuel filter and clean out that fine brass filter? I'm surprised that the junk was able to bypass that filter..
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Glass bowl sediment

Post by Gordon_M »

First thing to do is replace that glass bowl with an original brass one, at least that's the first thing the army did...

I'd put one of those hideous plastic disposable filters inline just before the carb. It could be your tank, or the interior of your fuel lines degrading - pretty much anything.

Tat big firewall filter is great, if it isn't disturbed. If you take the bowl off it is difficult to get it to seal, and that's assuming no-one has stripped the bowl nut thread. As a half measure pull the drain plug in the firewall filter, that's usually safe enough. If you get a lot of rubbish out just put the plug, back in and drain it once a month till it is clean-is. As I remember it the trash should gather on the outside of the filter sections and get washed down into the bowl. Check for water too.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Hello, Gordon- I have a few of those old ceramic Carter filters that would look pretty neat. I have to say that I like a clear glass bowl vs, the metal one, though..

Not sure why they used metal, but I reckon for durability?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

PareosWC wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:14 pm Not sure why they used metal, but I reckon for durability?
It's simple really. You drive a truck into a tactical situation, glass bowl gets broken, truck useless. Brass ones are a lot more durable.

I'd go with a cheap. disposable but pull the drain plug on the firewall filter first

G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

THere is also a drain plug in the bottom of the fuel tank. Run your fuel level down as far as you can, then pull the drain plug to drain off any accumulated junk from the bottom of your tank. This will also tell you if the contamination is in the tank or fuel lines.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf