June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

6x6 Transfer Case in a WC 53

Post by June J »

My WC 53 has high ratio diffs that were installed by the previous owner. For me this is a good thing for better highway speed, but in order to have a sufficiently low 1st gear for some off-road work I am installing a WC 62/63 two speed transfer case, using WC62/63 transfer case brackets.

I know some will view this as blasphemy but putting that aside, has anyone done this with a 3/4 ton WC? A friend of mine in NZ did so but into a WC 57 and I suspect there is more clearance around the body allowing the handbrake and linkage to clear the body. No such luck with the Carry-All.
I am reluctant to install the hand brake on the gearbox as there is a risk of the transfer case hitting neutral, then the handbrake would be ineffectual.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Re: 6x6 Transfer Case in a WC 53

Post by motto »

The 6x6 mounted the transfer case in the same cross member as used for the single speed,
Part of the two speed t/fer case installation in the single speed cross member was the relocation of the emergency/handbrake assembly from gearbox to t/fer case. This was enabled by the use of a flexible cable from the lever to the actuating linkage that passes between the t/fer case and cross member. The only dealer to my knowledge that has any of these cables, NOS, is Ross Prince of Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia.
You will also need two 'U' bolts to secure the outer cable. These can be robbed from a couple of cable clamps the right size. The awkward part is the little pressed steel saddles that fit over the cable inside the 'U' bolt. I had to make a die to produce them for me and my buddy who also carried out this conversion on his WC57.
Perhaps some one is wrecking a 6x6 and can help you out.
Do not hesitate to ask if you want more info, PM if you wish.
I have no experience with the Carryall so cannot comment on the bodywork interference question. The clearance on the Command Car is more than adequate.
It is interesting to note that when the 6x6 was put into production all 3/4 ton open cabs were thereafter built to be interchangeable with the 1-1/2 ton. Prior to this the cab was flat across the rear edge. The interchangeable cab has a hump in it to clear the handbrake and an oval hole for the removal and installation of the 'J' bolt. The transmission cover also was thereafter produced with the long slot for the second t/fer case lever. The extra length of the slot is masked by the leather cover when used on the 4x4.

Dave
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I have only done it on open cab WC 3/4 tons and like Dave said the floor is designed to accept the conversion. do you have a pic of the carryall floor? I have only owned one and cant remember what it looked like.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi folks,
so after looking again at the floor of the Carry-All, it is plain that accommodating the hand brake would require a significant cut of the floor, right on a strengthening rib so that just isnt going to happen.

I have elected to put the hand brake back on the gearbox. This decision is supported by the fact that the 2 speed transfer case does not have a detented neutral and therefore its pretty much always in gear.

Its all installed and ready to rock and roll :D :D

Thanks to Motto and Kaegi for their responses.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Ian

A bit late but my WC53 had a 6x6 transfer case in it when I bought it.

Worked fine but the noise was horrendous (double the gears of the original case with one output shaft just spinning free). I solved it by putting in a Nissan Patrol case which took about an hour but then had to get new modern universals fitted.

Now dead silent with a great 2:1 reduction.

The original in-out lever just hooked right up with a length of 3/8 rod and as it is a straight line selection for all operations, the high/low lever is no longer necessary. The new case has a cable handbrake on the back so the original Dodge brake lever can be used.

All-up time including box fitment, on the original cross member with a couple of simply fabricated brackets, and messing around with shift lever and handbrake was a full day. The driveline guys were finished the universal conversion same day I took it in.

I have done this conversion (as the only non-standard mod except for brake booster) on my newly finished WC-12 also.

Not kosher I know but a huge improvement on the original.

Lang
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

It has been my experience that the two speed Dodge New Process T/C tends to be quieter than the single speed for some reason. If you get a good one it is very quiet. Also the last production run of WC62/63 used a 1.96 : 1 T/C which is interchangeable with the 1.5 : 1 and carried on to be used in the Power Wagon and M37.
Towards the end of the war this T/C was installed in 3/4 ton 4x4 WCs for towing aircraft. It is a simple and worthwhile modification if you have the parts as it is all just bolt on except for the rear driveshaft having to be shortened due to the T/C being 'thicker' front to back.

David
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Lang & David,
I have to say I found the single speed transfer case (in my command car) noisy irrespective of being in 2x4 or 4x4. I know the 6x6 transfer case can be noisy if the needle roller bearings are worn but the rollers in my unit are in great condition so here's hoping!
Good to know about the Nissan case though, if this one doesn't work out its good to have an option.

I added the 2 speeder because my "53 has high ratio diffs fitted and i need a good low gear. Hopefully I get the best of both worlds with minimal modification.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

June J wrote:Hi Lang & David,
I have to say I found the single speed transfer case (in my command car) noisy irrespective of being in 2x4 or 4x4. I know the 6x6 transfer case can be noisy if the needle roller bearings are worn but the rollers in my unit are in great condition so here's hoping!
Good to know about the Nissan case though, if this one doesn't work out its good to have an option.

I added the 2 speeder because my "53 has high ratio diffs fitted and i need a good low gear. Hopefully I get the best of both worlds with minimal modification.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Cheers

Ian
we are spoiled here the US with NP tcases. the NP200 (PW and M37) with 1.96 to 1 ratio are easy to come by. or there is the NP201 and NP205 (also gear drive) which can easily be installed