Future of the ww2dodge.com Forum... (Discussion)

Discussion of current events, the site, the forum and participation in intelligent conversation with other forum.ww2dodge users - politics-free please.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Future of the ww2dodge.com Forum... (Discussion)

Post by 12th Air Force »

Hello Folk's

I was just uploading some of my lastest Event photo galleries and was - again - aware of, how little traffic here at the Forum is left?!? :roll:

In fact did I switch a lot of communication to fb myself, because I realized that more and more information is there at hand.
At the same time the amount of posts here seems to shrink since about 2-3 years and actually I have the impression that only a small group of "hardcore non fb users" is posting here stuff at the Forum??? :cry:

So, in respect of those (and I don't feel really "comfortable" with fb myself), I'm still posting photos and infos here.

This, just to keep this Forum still alive and in respect of a "Plan B" to the "communication magnet" fb and other social media platforms, that are "turning step by step the formerly colorful www in to a dry communication desert".

So at this point my message to you: This Forum is only as good and attractive, as you are active in it! :thumbup:

Special Thank's because of that to Bert and the Admins for the ongoing support of this great information platform for WW2 Dodge owners around the world!!! :thumbup:

Keep 'em Rolling and greetings from Germany,

Joakim
FISCH
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Future of the ww2dodge.com Forum... (Discussion)

Post by FISCH »

I personally, prefer the forum.

I don't like FaceBook because once it is posted you no longer own it.

I think the lull in discussion is because some of the commenters took things ( goes both ways... sending and receiving) personally.

The latter simply turns people off. And there are other forums people can sign into, G503.com for instance

So I am probably stating the obvious.
WC-56
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 dodge wc21 open cab
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

I'm sticking around , it may be slow at present ,and who really knows why ?
in my case I moved almost 400 miles ( over 20 years of stuff ) and it took
all of my extra funds to do so , I'm finally to the point where I can start the
tear down of my 21 to 22 swap , whenever I ask questions or start a thread
it usually turns into a small book ... , this forum collectively has more
information and practical experience than you'll find anywhere , yes there
are a lot of talented folks elsewhere , however they usually refer the tough
questions to this forum ... ( just my two cents worth ) A couple of pictures
of my 22 it will be going into the shop soon and the questions will follow .

GG
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GG »

My posting is down because of life changes, currently and empty nester with both my kids in college.
So now I have time for my first love long range target rifle shooting, been attending the local 200 yard slow fire four position leagues, and been practicing the mid range 600 yard and long range 1,000 yard for the fall schedule.

Anyways I check the site almost daily and have only responded rarely.

This site is the best, do not use G503, not into the jeep scene and I even own one, to much other junk and the people are not as nice as on the forum.

FB is not for me !

I sure hope this site stays active and thank to Bert and the admins.

GG

PS my wc58 turns 75 years old 8/10/17.
1942 WC 58
1950 Dodge B2B
1950 CJ3A
1943 WC 63 (Sold)
tankdriver
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 57mm ATG, M3 Autocar Halftracck, M3A1 Diamond T Halftrack, 43 WC63.
https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/

Post by tankdriver »

I also like the forum better. Once you post on FB, it is hard to find the "thread" again sometimes.

And I check out the forum everyday.
1943 WC63......1942 57mm Anti-Tank

Have owned...M5A1 Stuart

Have Restored...M20

MVPA Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors... https://wtmvc.shutterfly.com/
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I'm happy to be here, thanks to Bert for wielding the tools to keep it going.

Unfortunately all my web soace was taken away, hence the images and articles dont show now, but I have all the source stuff - just don't want to pay a load of cash to get them hosted.

I still check in here most days, take care of signups and look for any marked problems. I have only a couple of Dodge trucks left now but still come here for answers.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
bdodge
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bdodge »

Hi all. I have had my WC52 for eleven years now. and aside from the manuals, this has been Dodge university and a great help for any question large or small. I regularly check in to see what is new. But I dont post often because you all put it so well when answering questions (and have the knowledge). Please keep the forum going as it it is by far the best place for information on Our old Dodge vehicles. Thank you from Bjørn Michelsen.
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52
1986 Armstrong MT500EC Canadian Military Dispatch Motorcycle

Post by SteveJ »

:D Hi Ive only had my WC52 for a year and a bit so im newer here. i think the forum is a good idea as it has more presence than facebook and I use both. for just posting a few things and general chat its ok but for a good technical response or indepth search for info its weak and responses are not as good.
just my thoughts keep the forum running
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
1986 Armstrong MT500EC Canadian Military Dispatch Motorcycle
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

Good to have some feedback on the topic. Are there things / wishes that would make this forum more attractive?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 dodge wc21 open cab
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Bert wrote:Good to have some feedback on the topic. Are there things / wishes that would make this forum more attractive?
I can't think of anything , seems all the bases are covered , the one only sad thing
that happened is the loss of pictures that were hosted thru photobucket , I would
encourage members to find another hosting site , any ideas ? Thanks , Kris
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Hello,

I definitely prefer this forum!
And I myself don't really use fb for example.

Thanks to all who made this forum possible
and please - keep on the great work.

Kindest regards
Sylvia
WC58 - 4229/933 July 1942 - Commander George
http://www.command-car.com
Dedicated to Dodge Command Car and Dodge Ambulance of WW2

Dodge Build Card collection:
http://www.command-car.com/technik/tech ... cards.html
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

SteveJ wrote::D Hi Ive only had my WC52 for a year and a bit so im newer here. i think the forum is a good idea as it has more presence than facebook and I use both. for just posting a few things and general chat its ok but for a good technical response or indepth search for info its weak and responses are not as good.
just my thoughts keep the forum running
Good point! :thumbup:
I see it the same way.
Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Bert wrote:Good to have some feedback on the topic. Are there things / wishes that would make this forum more attractive?
Hi Bert! :-)
Great to have you here (as part of this thread). A while "no see - no hear". :-)
From my side those points (to be discussed):

- Fresh content for the landing page
would be good (even knowing that you have not the time to do so) because...
...the old content might irritate folks visiting the first time the site, looking for the forum?
Actually it might give the impression at first sight, that there is no actual content on this site.
...Maybe there should be a sort of clearly visible "forum advert" (with additional link) be placed on the landing page? *just thinking*

- A section on TM's and technical data (only)
Actually we have a lot of download links to TM's and other technical informations "spread" over the Forum.
You can often find them only via the search function, investing time in the research.
I think it would be good to have such a section that has "only hard facts" listed up (no discussions).

- A section on Military Vehicle related Events
Actually I'm doing that from time to time as a simple thread.
But maybe it makes more sense to have a public section for that?

- The last point is "not really new" and seems to be a sort of "technical problem": Subscription to the Forum is because of the spamming problem still difficult and needs admin support (and time). Is there no "state of the art" solution to open the Forum in a better way to interested Folk's (in an automated way)?
I heared twice folk's saying at MV Events that they know the Forum, but that they think some "snobs" are running it, because its not possible to join it...
In fact this is not true, but the "closed front door" might give that impression? :roll:

Well, that's what I can see actually.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

Hi Joakim,

Thanks for the feedback.
Fresh content for the landing page
Valid point. For now as a quick workaround: I just moved the site to http://cms.ww2dodge.com/ and let http://ww2dodge.com redirect to http://forum.ww2dodge.com/
A section on TM's and technical data (only)
Would you like to see this on the forum or the site?
A section on Military Vehicle related Events
Section as in a subforum like "Pre-WW2 Army Truck" "Market" and "General Discussion"?
as above
Subscription to the Forum
There are better options in the newer forum software. However it's not possible to keep the same style, hence I am a little hesitated to upgrade.

Feel free to discuss!
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Bert wrote:Hi Joakim,

Thanks for the feedback.
Fresh content for the landing page
Valid point. For now as a quick workaround: I just moved the site to http://cms.ww2dodge.com/ and let http://ww2dodge.com redirect to http://forum.ww2dodge.com/

Good idea! :-)
A section on TM's and technical data (only)
Would you like to see this on the forum or the site?

Both options have "their charme". "Just thinking": To have it as a section of the Forum would attract more folk's to visit the Forum.
Section as in a subforum like "Pre-WW2 Army Truck" "Market" and "General Discussion"?

As above: would make the Forum more attractive from my point of view.
As a starting point, you could use my actual 2017 Events listing thread as the first entry.

as above
Subscription to the Forum
There are better options in the newer forum software. However it's not possible to keep the same style, hence I am a little hesitated to upgrade.

That would be nice (and less work for the Admins as Gordon). Actually is the process too dificult and disattracting folk's that are interested in to join.

Good to see, that we can "upgrade" the Forum a bit & thank's for your support!
:-)
Joakim

Feel free to discuss!