Unstuck Plug

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unstuck Plug

Post by Tony B »

I've managed to get the old plug out safley. I used an old fashioned deep reach plug spanner with a bar through the top. That the plug just laughed at. I then changed the bar for a piece of stud with a bolt at each end, this allowed me to get a stiltson wrench across the top. The plug fought every thread but did come out whole and the new one fitted perfectly, ALWAYS start a plug by hand (Sucking eggs again) so running fine again :D
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

plug

Post by Kaegi »

Good to hear you got it out with no damage. the HIgh nickel content in these engine castings usually means the casting will win out when battling a plug or fasteners trying to make a home it its threads. Just another reason dodges are s step up from the rest! Steve
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Kaegi, I am thinking of adding 'ease plugs' to the service schedule. I am wondering whether a coat of high temp grease in the wells may prevent problem.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

plugs

Post by Kaegi »

Yes it would help for sure. I just put it on the threads of the plug. with the way the plugs wit down in the well and gather dust and dirt it sure can't hurt. I use the copper colored anti sieze. The silver stuff just doesn't last as long under high temps.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks I'll give it a try.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Unstuck plug.

Post by Phil P »

Great news Tony. Hi temp copper slip is worth a smear round the threads. Never use any of the other greases designed for wheel bearings because it can burn to a hard carbon making the problem you want to solve worse. I read you tried WD40 to penetrate the threads. The best and cheapest (for volume) is diesel and paraffin mixed 50:50. It penetrates vertually any thread if you give it time. The paraffin soakes in and the diesel gives a bit of lubrication as well as penetrating. We had a brand new multi stage centrifugal high pressure pump seize up after being left standing for three months with water in it, not smart! The paraffin diesel mix was poured in and left for 48 hours with the ports plugged. We then removed the cooling fan guard and fan off the 45kw drive motor. (No small pump this one costing mega bucks!) We put a set of 36" Stilsons on the exposed shaft and it turned! The 45kw motor stalled out before the 'ellixur' was tipped in. The pump is still running 24/7 6 months later.

Sorry to ramble on. The other thing is never apply the gas axe flame to a cylinder head to loosen a plug. It can cause localised warping of the head with the result it wont hold a gasket. Trust me I have seen it happen. The old story cure a small problem create a bigger one in it's place. I run a 14mm tap down the threads now and again to keep them clean.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: plug

Post by Ugg »

Kaegi wrote:Good to hear you got it out with no damage. the HIgh nickel content in these engine castings usually means the casting will win out when battling a plug or fasteners trying to make a home it its threads. Just another reason dodges are s step up from the rest! Steve
Steve:

At least the old ones. :wink:

Tony:

Cool! Glad to hear ya won. :thumbup:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by migmatic »

Well done Tony. Just some good old elbow grease sounded like the answer! :D
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks guys a few more tricks up the sleeve. :D