WC53 spare tire carrier

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
jbell
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

WC53 spare tire carrier

Post by jbell »

Hello, How does the WC53 spare tire carrier differ from the open cab version? Does anyone have a picture for comparison? Thank you.....John
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: WC53 spare tire carrier

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day John . It dosn,t . It is exactly the same as the wc51/2 etc . Makes getting out of the drivers side door impossible :lol: Unlike the 1/2 ton carryall that had axces to both front door,s . In the middle of a war , they were not going to redesign the spare wheel carrier for 8200 carryall,s .I have not fitted the spare wheel carrier on my wc53 .Ray
FrankUSMC
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by FrankUSMC »

John
Just about all the WWII photos I have here show the WC53 with the spare tire carrier removed. At this point, the WC53 was being used as a bus in the rear. So if you had a flat some one would bring you out a spare tire.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
jbell
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jbell »

Thanks Ray and Frank, I'll have to find the open cab version and give it a try...........Regards, John
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day again John . I think John at Mid West mill has repro,s . There should be a bracing frame from the passenger side to the drivers side ,between the chassie frame . This takes a lot of strain of the chassie . You do see the spare tyre holder on ebay from time to time . But the weight is the killer . Postal .. Some spares on wc53 were post war, mounted beside the door . They cut out a piece of the rear fender to give them a bit more room for the tyre to fit They also mover the spare tyre dip in the running board and replaced it under the spare ,further back . Ray
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Ray

I thought about moving mine back but the 9.00 tire sticks out too far because the body widens as it goes back towards the rear fender.

Looks great from the side on those I have seen but really needs a hole in the body like the ambulance to stop it sticking way outside the fender line.

Lang
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

I Lang,
there have been a number of pictures on the internet showing the WC 53 with the spare wheel mounted on the right side of the vehicle behind the passengers door. I understood this was (perhaps) a US Navy modification.

I have not however been able to find any info on this but I certainly will not be installing a spare carrier on the left running board because exiting out the passengers door puts me right into the traffic in this country.

Cheers
Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Ian . I thought that New Zealand was a state of Australian :lol: . You know , that bloody big Island or small continent west of New Zealand . Thats why i have no spare wheel carrier in my wc53 . Lang has the same problem in Queensland . How,s the leg going ? . Ray
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

G'day Ray, Australia would never be so lucky as to have New Zealand as a State :lol:
The foots doing well, off to the surgeon tomorrow and hopefully plaster off but in reality I expect another 5 weeks in plaster. Sigh.
Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

spare not needed with field serviceable combat wheels and a tube patch kit in the glove box. ;/) I bet you could run from Vancouver bc to Argentina and never need a spare. unless running some wimpy radial.
jbell
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jbell »

I don't "need" a spare tire. I will probably never drive the carryall more than 20 miles from home. Although the mounting is a detriment of egress to and from the cab, I want and like the look of the spare mounted to the vehicle.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I like the look of it mounted as well. ambulance had the best arrangement