Info and opinion on an AFKX352

All other trucks not mentioned above.
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Info and opinion on an AFKX352

Post by David DeWeese »

Last year while in Wyoming, I found this truck behind a business and contacted the owner. It was not for sale at the time, but the man told me that if he ever decided to sell it, I would get first crack at it.
Well......finally got the call, but he "would like to get $3500 for it". I'm sure he will come down a little on the price, but probably not much.
Hasn't ran in years, but engine isn't stuck. Sits on the original GM 4x4 1.5 ton chassis. Has large plate on cowl that reads " TRUCK, MAINTENANCE, AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR". Truck is rust-free, very straight and complete, but has none of the original maintenance tools, equipment or generator.
I'm really on the fence with this one. Seems like a big pile of money to pay for a "school bus on steroids", but not many of these left around, I would think.
Comments? Opinions?
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Offer ...

Post by Gordon_M »

Well it's a nice truck, but it isn't nice enough to go broke on.

In your situation I'd probably make an offer on it, maybe $2750 and let him sit on it. I don't think I'd go more than that unless it was running or absolutely complete and intact. I seem to remember that some of these had wood framing for the body and that could be a real problem.

Not cheap to move - too big to stuff into a container heading for Holland, etc, etc ...

G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
David DeWeese
Corporal
Corporal

Post by David DeWeese »

Thanks, Gordon
Gonna' pass on this one because of the asking price, cost of shipping, etc.....
Cool truck, though.
doc_coffin
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by doc_coffin »

I would think, if nothing else, it would make a great canteen conversion. I remember seeing a shot of one much like this in Italy, manned by USO men AND WOMEN, handing out coffee and cartons of cigarettes. GIs were eating sandwiches and chatting up the dolls all around. Now, if I could only remember where I saw the picture, I'd scan and add it to this thread.
The climate in Wyoming isn't that hard on wood structures, so it might be worth investigating anyway to be sure. I would think that the suggested offer of $2750.00 is a little high unless all of the running gear and body is complete and nice. Might be interested myself if it is all there and looks like it might run with a little work.
Any chance to get more info or pictures?

Mark
greenemachine09
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

UR project

Post by greenemachine09 »

i no where one is sitting in my area only a lot rougher but somewhat cheaper :( . i say that to say this i really like the vehicle just as much my duck but normally just as the guys stated if you haw and hum the old feller out he might come down in his price :twisted: ! i just wish it was closer to me :twisted: (north central KY)!

Thanks for the view and possibly insperation,
AGG
1941 Dodge WC
1944 DUKW 6x6
1944 Ford Dump (military?)