Stuck plug

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Stuck plug

Post by Tony B »

My Lady is currently running on 5 new and 1 old spark plug. The one nearest the bulkhead has decided to stick. So far I am resorting to masterly inactivity and a liberal dose of penatrating oil. Wondering if the brains trust has any sparklingly simple ideas on the problem :?: :thumbdown:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Daily doseages of that penatrating oil. You may have to resort to the torch (for heat silly). Good luck.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hey Ugg, thought that would be the only answer. In england (At the risk of upset half th forum) Doing nothing and letting things soak is called the "Yorkshire Treatment" :lol:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Steve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Steve »

Tony, I had the same with one plug on my WC52 so I tried the lets get it out approach with a lot of welly behind the plug spanner - ended up with taking the head off to get the remains of the plug out. Agree - I would let it soak! Steve
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Steve. Point well taken, thats why I decided to back off. I'll leave it till next week and keep topping up the WD40 :(
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Tony:

Yeah, it sucks. :evil: I used to plow snow with my old Suburban. At the end of every season I'd replace all the wires, plugs, ect. One year I got lazy and didn't. Sure enough at the beginning of the next season I'm plowin my little brains out and hear this BIG POP! Then the Sub starts runnin like crap. I pop the hood and discover the ceramic part of a plug had blown out. :shock:

After limpin home I figured this was a good of time as any to change all the plugs. They had ALL frozen in due to rust. 10 cans of penatrating oil, 3 LARGE tanks of gas for the torch later, we had only gotten 2 plugs out. :cry: Oh well, by the end of that season, I had over 500K on the truck (still with the original engine/trans, unrebuilt or worked on other than general maint), so I said my good-byes. :cry:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I know the feeling Ugg, we had an old Merc van, the instrutions were grease wheel nuts, someone didn't, had to scrap the van because we couldnt get the wheel off after a punture :evil: The dodge is running fine so if I can't get the plug loose in a reasonable way, I'll run her to the local geniuses at Dakar and let Barry and the boys loose :thumbup: Not even going to try it again till next Thursday apart from top up the cavity.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Tony:

Your up early, or is it late for ya? :lol: Yeah, if people do just normal maint on their vehicles, they can last almost forever. I love hearin these mopes sayin this brand is better, or that brand is better (I'm not talkin about built up vehicles). Just grease it up, change the earl, keep it tuned and reasonably clean and 500K is easy. Just the normal No Brainer stuff. :roll:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Ugg,
Its 19:10 hours British Summer Time (GMT+1) weather is fine getting quite warm during the day, it is the Easter holiday, and I'm Working!! Will be off Monday though gpoing to a show at Manston Airport, thier haveing a wheels and wings event this weekend.
As I'm suituated about three miles East of the actual Greenwich Meridan, I suppose I'm a bit fast.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony B wrote: I'm a bit fast.
Tony:

Ya reeeally don't want me to comment on that, do ya? :twisted: I think we're a bit ahead of you (in actual time I mean :lol: ). We're into spring now, and it MIGHT get to freezing today. It's supposed to snow again today (flurrys). The wife is enjoying her ONE day off today. Normally, she works 7 days a week, for 72 hours per. :( Poor girl is just standing, starring at the TV, with a coffee cup in her hand, lost. She's watchin some kid show with our daughter. I'm hiding. :twisted:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Airborne Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Spark Plugs

Post by Airborne Bob »

Hi all, I have found that if you try and tighten them a little, then back them off, there is carbin on the threads on the lower side and by thghtening a little it will break loose. then work the plug back and forth a little at a time and this my help. I have done this on a lot of plugs and bolts to get them off. If and when you get it to move, put more WD-40 to work. Does not work all the time, but worth a try. Bob
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Bob, it will be soacking for a few days yet then I'll give a try.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Bob:

Problem with that is that most times, the plugs are installed way to tight in the 1st place. :( Plugs should only be snugged, not scrunched in. :lol: I've seen guys usin an impact instead of a torque wrench. :shock:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
migmatic
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Heat

Post by migmatic »

Hmmm!
Haven't had the problem, but I agree with Ugg, there are way to many people, (mechanics ??) torquing these things far too tight. The philosophy must be the bigger the wrench or socket,....the tighter you torque it :) I've found aluminum heads won't take that sort of thing for very long.

Assuming the plug is the proper length and not sticking down into the combustion chamber where the threads can get all sorts of abuse, (I would take the numbers off the plug make sure the thread portion is of the right length). The way those plugs sit in their little divits collecting water and such rust is definitely a possible problem.
I would probably do what Ugg had to do,....just sacrifice it, wack the ceramic top off it, get a torch, heat the plug remains cherry red, and then try undoing it.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Mig, I hope to leave the heat to a last resort. I won't touch the plug till at least Thursday, work getting in the way, but by then it will have soacked in penertrating oil for a week. I'll let people know wht happens. :D