nuts and bolts

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

nuts and bolts

Post by brian »

I know this conversation's been had before, but I cant seem to find it.
so what is the deal with the SAE /whitworth thread thing.
every time I order a screw from a bolt and nut place it wont fit
my tap and die, but my tap and die fits everything on my 41 dodge.
what changed in the universe when I wasent looking? :roll:
tanks
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Napoleon got the measurment of the worlds diameter wrong and we all got stuck with metric :roll: Try getting a thread gauge and a couple of thread files, they really are a magic gadget for worn threads. The teeth are set to various thread gauges and you just file round it. :wink:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Nuts n' bolts

Post by Phil P »

Hi Brian.
Er I thought that Dodges were UNC and UNF threads not Whitworth. The nuts and bolts in mine are all unified, or were. The pan heads holding the floor plates are now M8 as the 5/16" threads were naff but tapped out to M8 as it ain't far away. If the thread is too damaged to retap to it's original size and it is somewhere were it is difficult to replace ie a captive nut than I have tapped them out to a metric size. Yes I know sorry but it is a simple cure. Why bang your head on the floor when there's a pillow handy. 3/16" will retap at M5 5/16" M8 and 3/8" M10. There isn't one for 1/2" as M12 is smaller and M14 is a 'non prefered' size. ie it ain't a common size, 5/8" is slightly smaller than M16 and not only that if it's 5/8" dia bolt it isn't there to hang your scarf on. So perhaps don't in case it pulls out. I thought in the US of A you had decided not to go metric. Going metric has probably cost the UK more by having to scrap machines and tooling plus all the measuring equipment than if it had stayed imperial. We only did it to comply with the rest of Europe who don't buy what we produce anyway. Oh yes high tensile metric bolts are marked 8.8 0n the head. It's about the same as condition 'T' in inch sizes.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

on the current project I'm helping out with. the part that would need taped is in armor and theres like 84 holes,
I think ranger just hooked me up with nos though.
thanks
BB
wc-4
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

Just my 2 bob,s worth .All UNC and whitworth bolts and nuts should fit each other except the 1/2 in unc and whitworth .They are i tpi out ..ie 1/2 inch whit 12 tpi and 1/2inch UNC 13 tpi difference .The only other difference is the angle of the thread I think from memory one is 60 deg and the other 55deg.. So you can use the UNC taps and dies for Whitworth and vise versa. { Except 1/2 inch} Hope this helps . Ray .
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

scince theres nothing made in america anymore, I figure the chinees
must have the wrong tooling, there doesent seem to be one screw that fits anymore. standardization has gone out the window, and everyones pushing there own head style or drive style, along with there own tool
to do it with.
its anarchy i tells ya. just anarchy. :evil:
BB
wc-4
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

As a last resort and the risk of having the mob outside with burning torches. Loctite make a very good liquid thread sealer that fills damaged threads. There are other products available, and of course the good old Helicoil.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

I have used McMaster Carr for years with nary a problem. Is it possible your vehicle is a European return that has been through a rebuild with metric stuff????????
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

no, shermans been in vagas knocking down buildings its hole post war life,
its v-8 ford, with a peekaboo commanders coupla, the screws I'm talking about hold the window retention rings on the outside.
I think its e9 version.
tanks
BB
wc-4