Does any one else have this problem.

Mal
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

better check for water in your oil,
the only reason for oil in the water would be a leak in the head gaskett
better clean out the cooling system, you dont want to clog the water distribution tube. if the truck came from one of those warm places where
thay dont believe in anti freez, better antifreez up.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Sterring wise it depends on what your used to. As long as the vehicle runs straight, there is no shimmy and the tyre pressures are correct. Cooling system , get a good rad cleaning flush to clean it out and check the oil for white blobs that indicate water in it. Take the thermostat out, replace the housing then disconnect the bottom hose. Wedge a hose pipe in the bottom hose and turm it on, this is know as back flushing. then replace everything, I would included a new thermostat to be on the safe side. Refill with soft water or filtered rain water, plus 50% good antifreeze. Aadd something like K Bar conditioner to the system. also waht is the water pump like? Sounds like a lot of hassle but it should only take a couple of hours. Dallas Autos at Newbury should have the thermostat.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Mally:

Enjoy your new truck. :thumbup: May I suggest ya do a "Pressure Test" on it's cooling system. Do this before the flush. It'll show if and where there's any leaks in the system. Also, Tony didn't mention to have a water hose added to the top opening of the rad to keep a supply of fresh water goin thru until the flush is complete. :oops: There is a machine that does this so ya don't dump that nasty stuff all over the place. Remember, antifreeze is VERY posionous (and tasty) to out 4 legged friends. It actually does a "Back Flush".

Later
Ugg
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Mally
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Mally »

Thanks guys
I will flush the cooling system out and put a new thermostat in.
Theres no water in the oil its clean.
I will run here for awhile and see if the sludge returns.if so i
will change the head gaskett.
The steering, i also have a GMC 352 and the steering on that seems
lighter when the truck is driving compared to the dodge.
Tony, what is a K Bar conditioner and what does it do.
The water pump seems to be ok as far as i can tell .
Thanks again for your input, i will keep you posted

Regards
Mal
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

K Bar is a blck crumbly stuff, similar to but very superior to Rad Weld. I've used the stuff for years in all my vehicles. I live in an area where the water is so hard you crunch your tea. the K Bar is a genral prservative, sftner and catches minor leaks before there a problem. Mixs OK with anti freeze etc. you should be able to get from your local car shop.at the rsik of upsetting Ugg and attracting lightning bolts. Slick 50 in the engine and gear box makes a hell of a diffrence to both. I'm also going to fit one of Classicheads Electronic distributor units, Phil P swears by them, Ugg just swears at them :roll:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Ya know if ya use Slick 50 in a new car here in the US of A, it voids it's warranty? Also, that K Bar and like products can actually cause stopage in your cooling system. I've heard pros and cons on both products though. :? Yeah, I do swear a bit to much for my wife's like, and them lightning bolts are usually directed at me. :shock: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Ugg, I somehow think the warranty on the our Dodges might be a bit out of date. come to think of it how much modern crap will be around in 60 years. The recent panic in UK has been hundreds of cars (Mostly the posh ones) packing up after buying fuel from supermarkets, the Dodge just got on with it as usual :thumbup: The Russians used a copy of the T-214 up to the 1990s in Zil and Gaz trucks, back in the seventies they even dumped modern engines to go back to them. So if some peasant can keep them running we have a chance. Actually that insults Russian engineers, where it needs enginerring it is perfect. :roll: I'd rather have the Dodge than modern kit anyway. she talks to me and as Howard who taught me how to hold a spanner said "Listen, a machine will tell you how things are going, if you listen"
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

I TOTALLY AGREE! Back in the day, I was once considered a mechanic. My cut off point is 1972. My wife's truck is a 1993. I just changed the cap and rotor and screwed that up. :oops: :lol: I thought it'd be a simple swap. HA! Everything now is electronic. Not to mention how they can track you thru it. Or the black boxes they can use against you in an accident (just like in aircraft). Oh No, they're everywhere! :shock: :lol: Oh well, what can ya do.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

Back in 1946 the Australian Govt decided that they wanted the masses to drive ,so they arranged for GM-H to produce a car ,and so the 48-215 Holden was born. It averaged 25-30 miles per gallon on some of the worst roads in the world at the time .Fast forward to 2007 and the modern car,s[of comparable size ] are still getting around this figure or less mpg .Also you need to have millions of dollars worth of test equipment to diognose faults with the onboard computers :shock: Hasn,t the world advanced in 60 years Not always for the best me think :cry: iBig Brother is looking more and more orwellion all the time these days BLOODY MONGRALE BEAURACRATS give me the Jimmy Brits [SHITS} :twisted: Ray
old57XLA
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 56 42 WLA 57XLA

Could be stop-leak, which can look oily/sludgy.

Post by old57XLA »

I recently looked at an old Volvo. Nice, but seemed too cheap. Had brownish oily/pasty stuff in the radiator. Guy said the bucket he used to fill the radiator had oil in it. Riiiight. I borrowed a simple tester to test for exhaust gas in the coolant. It's a plastic tube that you stick into the filler neck. The tube has a liquid in it. You draw a vacuum on the tube with a squeeze bulb. If the liquid turns yellow, it shows the presence of exhaust gases which indicates a bad head gasket, or a cracked head or block. It is a quick and simple test. Hope it turns out negative! If it does, it may just be stop-leak for a pinhole in the radiator. H.
I wish I had more time, more space, and more money!
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hey whats the rad test gadget called? Sounds like a useful bit of kit to have about.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony B wrote:Hey whats the rad test gadget called? Sounds like a useful bit of kit to have about.
Tony:

Ya mean a "PRESSURE TESTER"? :shock: It's a hand pump-like thingy that screws on to the rad cap opening. Then there's a back-flush machine. Both "OLD" school LOW TECH items. :thumbup: :wink:

Ray Edsall wrote:Back in 1946 the Australian Govt decided that they wanted the masses to drive ,so they arranged for GM-H to produce a car ,and so the 48-215 Holden was born. It averaged 25-30 miles per gallon on some of the worst roads in the world at the time .Fast forward to 2007 and the modern car,s[of comparable size ] are still getting around this figure or less mpg .Also you need to have millions of dollars worth of test equipment to diognose faults with the onboard computers :shock: Hasn,t the world advanced in 60 years Not always for the best me think :cry: iBig Brother is looking more and more orwellion all the time these days BLOODY MONGRALE BEAURACRATS give me the Jimmy Brits [SHITS} :twisted: Ray
Okay Ray:

Let's get POLITICAL! Isn't amazing how the powers that be pushed us all to get mobile, and how now they want to take it away from us? I guess they view us as a herd animal. We tend to all follow the current trends. What's popular today is not tomorrow, and there we go, blindly following along. This Global Warming garbage for instance.

I have no doubt that we as a species HAVE contributed to this current climate change, but not to the extent these so-called experts are all saying (we can get into that later). What's their solution? Make us all stop driving. I seriously doubt that if ALL the privately owned vehicles were to stop running today, that there'd be ANY noticable difference.

You have the electric power companys spewing tons of garbage into the air daily. Here in the US that created what we call "Acid Rain". Oil companys, have ya ever been to a refinery or oil rig? Flames shooting up into the sky, everywhere, from all these stacks. Growing up, we used to go to the lakefront (Lake Michigan), and check out the sky at night. It was an errie orange and amber color because of the steel mills in Gary, Indiana. :shock: We were told that was Hell (to scare us).

Unfortunately, things like electric power and fossil fuel and steel are needed to survive in today's world. Personally, I've gotten quite used to having ac in the summer, a stereo and computer. I could live without TV. :twisted: So, some sorta compromise IS needed.

Thing is, the powers that be ALWAYS seem to go after us little pissants. We as individuals can't aford the massive killer packs of lawyers needed to have our lives protected like these mega corporations. It's a game to these people (and I use that term loosely). They're tryin to return to the caste system. 2 classes of people, the rich and the poor.

Here in the US, there seems to be a war against the middle class. We've (I put myself in that group, although the lower end), been footing the bill for all the garbage the politicians are doing to us. The vote means nothing anymore as our current leadership was NOT installed by popular vote (We The People), but what we call the Electorial College (a group of politicians).

It has gotten to a point that these politicans blatantly do WHATEVER they choose with NO regard to the people (that supposedly put them in power) what so ever. To some of my friends outside the US border, there is currently a major issue in the US about illegal aliens. They guesstamate that's there's at least 36 MILLION here in the US. :evil: What are the powers that be doing? Arresting border guards for doing their job. Cops going to jail for enforcing the laws on immigration.

Now I'm NOT a big cop fan. I've personally felt police power abuse (many times :oops: ). In all honesty, 7 out of 10 times, I deserved what I got. :wink: Still, even I realize, without coppers, you'd have total chaos. Now if a person does their job, at the very least, they should be left alone, not put in jail. What's the message being sent. :?

I could go for days on this subject, but I think Ray put it down right, BLOODY MONGRALE BEAURACRATS! Here in the US, they want to switch to total electronic voting. NO paper trail what so ever. It's already been demonstrated how easy it is to manipulate these machines. To set em for whatever outcome ya want. Fortunately, there WAS still a paper trail in effect to catch SOME of this.

I hope it's not already to late to change this, but with people more concerned about how white their teeth should be, the # of piercings or tattoo's they have, or what their favorite sports teams/figures are doing, well, I don't know. BLOODY MONGRALE BEAURACRATS! BLOODY DAMN FOOL SHEEP!

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

No mate I meant the gas testing kit. thast sounds like an excellent tool especially withe certain French made vehicles. :twisted:
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Oily sludge in rad

Post by Phil P »

Spot on Ugg. A man on my wave length. We are all being fed bovine excrement by Governments and their desciples who are gullable enough to believe and perpetuate it. In WW2 in the Uk there was a campain for folks to hand in their old aluminium sauce pans to build a Spitfire. Iron railings were cut down from buildings except stately homes to be melted down to build a battleship. Boots were handed in to give to a soldier, and hats scarves and gloves were knitted by housewives to keep a soldier warm. Truth was the pots and pans were melted down to make new pots and pans and vertually all the iron railings ended up in scrap yards. Boots were boiled up to recover the metal bits and then used in cattle feed and fertilizers and the knitted clothes mostly ended up in warehouses not used. Why? it was all to make the great unwashed believe they were helping in the war effort. In the 1960's all the steam locomotives in the UK were withdrawn to be replaced by electric locomotives because they are cleaner. How do you produce electricity. Well you boil millions of gallons of water to make steam........ In Britain we could and did make anything and everything. Now we are held to ransom by the people we used to sell to. I am a rare breed in the UK. A trained engineer that works for an engineering company.
Nothing annoys me more than being treated like a brainless idiot by a brainless political idiot who I have elected because I thought he had a brain. Don't forget if you've got half a mind to go into politics you are over qualified! I am just waiting for the knock or rather have my front door battered in by the 'Black Shirts' for daring to see through the scam.
Sorry to railroad your forum Bert.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'