Battery question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Battery question

Post by Jim M »

With the warmed weather coming on, I hope to be driving my WC a little more than in the past. Between the surgeries and life in general, my WC has not been driven as much as it should. And when I go try, it usually has a dead battery. Thus this question:
Which is better to use--a battery switch or a trickle charger? Have heard good about both, but still am in the dark.
Can the gathered masses offer some advice?
Thanks!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Battery question

Post by Enigma »

Jim M wrote:With the warmed weather coming on, I hope to be driving my WC a little more than in the past. Between the surgeries and life in general, my WC has not been driven as much as it should. And when I go try, it usually has a dead battery. Thus this question:
Which is better to use--a battery switch or a trickle charger? Have heard good about both, but still am in the dark.
Can the gathered masses offer some advice?
Thanks!

Jim M
I usually removed the battery leads, a trickle charger is a good thing I hear.
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Hi Jim,

Post by Chris Davis »

I installed a cut off switch on mine. It's tucked away where it's hard to find as part of my theft deterent system... and to stop the kids from accidentally walking it into the garage door when they find the starter push leaver. :roll:
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I paid £24 for an Exide solar trickle charger. I just clip it onto the battery and walk away, as long as there is light the battrey is charged. A real Magic Gadget. :P
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Battery

Post by Jim M »

Thanks to all for the words of advice! Will go with the battery trickle charger, with a disconnected battery leads.
Kill two birds with one stone 8)

Jim M
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

What ya mean is a "Step Down" charger. A trickle charger will actually burn out your battery after a long period of time. As far as a battery switch, I'd go that way for other reasons, like what Chris mentiones. I have BOTH installed on the Beast. Hope your doin better. Drop me a line.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jack Perry
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack Perry »

Ugg:
I am not familiar with a "Step Down" charger, and going to Google did not help. Can you give me the brand you are using - that may help with a Google search.

Thanks,

Jack
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

ACCUMATE for one

Post by Gordon_M »

It's just a trickle charger with some intelligence, that will charge your battery, then cut out, then cut back in when the charge level drops.

I use them and they are normally OK, but one time I got one wet after which it insisted on charging until the battery cooked - my own fault I suppose.

If I was in the market now I'd be trying one of those solar chargers, on the grounds that it wouldn't be getting enough power (round here anyway) to destroy anything - cheaper to run too.

G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

My experience with the solar is that it works extremly well. Only gives out about 12.4 volts so no problem with overcharge and of course switchs off every night. :lol:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jack:

Have ya noticed (or is it just me), but when ya do a search, it's only on the 3rd or 4th page (if your lucky) where the info your lookin for actually starts? :shock: Harbor Freight sells em for about $5.00 USD, so if ya go there, you can get the info to help in your search. I'll be heading out later and be able to check for brand name, but after I'm done with today's agenda, I won't be in any condition to type, and may take a few days to recover. :(

Never had much luck with the solar stuff here in Uggville. In summer they work okay, but furgit it in winter/fall/spring.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jack Perry
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack Perry »

Ugg, Gordon. Tony: Thanks for the advice. I have to get some more education on electricity so I can follow everything you say. But I have enough now to at least start evaluating alternaives.

I do have a battery switch installed to cover problems previously mentioned in this thread. It has worked fine. The battery is keeping a charge now. I just have not tested how long I can go.
Jack Perry

1941 Dodge WC-7 Command Car
1942 Bantam T3 Trailer
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jack:

Black & Decker make em as do a lot of the other electric parts companys, but look into Schumacher (sp) as they are probably the best brand. They specialize in professional automotive chargers. They range in price from as low as $2.95 to $49.95 USD. The cheap ones are probably just as good as the mid range, as long as ya don't submerge em (no dig Gordon :wink: ).

Good Luck!
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Depending on the price you can get solid fill gel batterys. They are a favourite of the ICE types who boost about 1,0000watts. In UK they are about 4 times the cost of lead acid. the beauty is that do hold charge, work at angles and are less prone to temprature varation. they also deep cycle, will stand flattening and recharching. Consider getting a "Lesiure" type battery as for boats and caravans, they are more durable.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Battery

Post by Jim M »

I got my "smart" charger from Sears for around $30. Had seen a piece on TV (Speed TV) for another brand, and when I checked them out they were about $20 more than Sears.
Had picked up a battery switch from a gentleman named Fred Jones. Had seen one of his ads in an older copy of Military Vehicles. Contacted him and ordered one shortly after that.
One thing that I have found out since I got my WC, is that education is a never ending process. Seems that I am learning something new, regarding my WC or mil vehicles in general, every day. And the fact the people in the mil vehicle world are very good, who are willing to help another member of the group.
This does make the process so much easier for a newbie like myself :wink: And I in turn have done the same for those who need help that I can help. There is still hope for the world :thumbup:

Again, Thanks to all!

Jim M
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Jim:

Is that a Sear's charger or is it a real charger? (Rippedoff from Frank Zappa) :lol: EVERYTHING Sear's sells is made by someone else, even with the Sear's name on it (or even Craftsman). They recently went to "BRAND" named products, but in reality, those items were made for Sear's with Sear's specs. My Dad had a client that used to go to Tiawan and Japan, buy tools and import em with the Craftsman name put on for Sear's. :lol: Still, if that's all that's around......

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"