Command Car gear box

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Command Car gear box

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Hi folks,
the search notches up a little this week-end, going to look at a vehicle to purchase.

I have a question about the transmission on the command cars. I understand its a 4 speed "crash" box. Have most found it to be adequate or have some modified to have (say) a 5 speed syncro?

Please forgive me if I am swearing :?

Ian J
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Command car gearbox.

Post by Phil P »

Ian Ian no no no. Oh the joy of mastering a non synchro box cannot be described. I did say non synchro box. It is only called a crash box by those who can't change gear silently hence the term. Learning to double de clutch and synchronising the engine revs is an art that once learned you don't forget. Once you have learned that then try doing it without the clutch That my friend is a 'black art', but just watch the look on the faces of those who see you do it. Patience is the key. Don't rush it don't force it. It will tell you when it's ready. A bit like a woman, except it can't do the washing up!
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

Hi Phil,
I understand what your saying, having driven Bedfords in the past!! 8)

Do you find the 4 speed and single speed transfer case is adequate? Doesnt it need another lower gear?? :?: I have to say I am likely to take the old girl some fairly steep places and kinda like the idea of attacking slopes in the knowledge that if I have to I can "snatch" another cog 8)

cheers

Ian J
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The box on a Dodge is perfectly adequate for anything that can be coped with short of a winch. The first gear would be what would now described as "Super low crawler". Though in 1941 the designers never had to worry about marketing. Off road she will give any modern 4x4 a hiding, just takes her own time over it. The diffrence is you have to think what you doing before you start, not leave it to a computer brain. :twisted:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Dave A
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Auto Box?

Post by Dave A »

I recently imported (into England) a very rough WC56 with what looks exactly like a normal T214 engine (except the water outlet elbow on the head is the same as a 1/2 ton engine, as is the carb and aircleaner) as I have a spare T214 the engine came out and a friend had it as it is the same as the engine in his plymouth staff car which has an auto box, Now their's a thought....... I could finally get my girlfriend to drive while I sit in the back!!! (bellhousing looks the same as my T214)
Dave
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Ian:

What the 56 has in it should be perfectly fine, but if ya plan on any long road trips, ya might want to consider replacing the axle gears from the original 5:83's to 4:89's. That'll take a lot of stress off the engine and tranny, ect at a higher speed, and ya won't be gettin the one finger salute from other drivers as much.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Dave A
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

How much faster?

Post by Dave A »

Ugg,
Haven't forgotten the magazines, I will get them away next week, sorry.
How much faster will that ratio go than the standard set up?
Cheers
Dave
Ian Jamieson
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ian Jamieson »

With the standard engine, gearbox and diff ratios, what is a "comfortable" cruising speed on the highway?

I am used to the single finger salute, having driven my Jeep on the highway @ 45-50mph for 30+ years :lol:

Cheers

Ian
1942 WC57 Command Car
1942 WC-53 Carry-All
1941 Willys MB
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Dave:

To be perfectly honest, I don't know as one of the 1st things done to the Beast was to install them 4:89's. Like I said, I've had it up to 75 MPH with NO issue what so ever, and I still had pedal. I coulda pushed it more, but all I wanted to do is keep up with traffic. No sweat on the mags.

Ian:

I'm a very religious guy, and one of the requirements of my religion is 5 over the limit, ALWAYS! :twisted: Another is if the vehicle moves, it HAS to stop. :wink: Lately I've been giving that salute out a lot. With the weather break, it seems that there are more morons out there driving.

There was an accident because this goofy female was on the phone. Traffic had stopped and since she was so busy talking, she didn't notice. What got me is that even after she slammed into the car in front of her (which pushed that into the guy in front of him), she STILL kept yaking away! :evil: And she stayed on that phone another 10 minutes before she got out to see if anyone got hurt. She then got BACK on the phone to continue yaking to a friend. :evil:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

55mph with standard gears

Post by Gordon_M »

No problem.

You can go to the taller gears, but that will greatly reduce your ability uphill and cross country.

just get the engine running fine and the steering, hubs, brakes, and bearings in good order - that should do it.

If you are on flat ground and unloaded it'll be happy to start off in second too.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )