WC54 re engine

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

WC54 re engine

Post by Phil P »

At great risk of having abuse hurled at me, though I should point out that I have been asked this question by a friend. He has just bought a WC54 only to find on getting it home it is in an horrendous condition and far short of turning up mob handed on the sellers front step armed with base ball bats there is no chance of him getting his money back. Why he went out and handed over cash knowing threefifths of sod all about what he was buying god only knows. The engine is scrap and I mean hyperscrap. Multiple frost damage The bores are beyond any form of repair. It ain't even a good doorstop! The body is in a poor state but repairable. He has a very good Ford Transit diesel engine, direct injection non turbo circa1990. Has anybody fitted one and adapted it to the Dodge gearbox or what other diesel engine has been fitted into a WC and either adapted to the gearbox or fitted an engine box assy and what happened to the transmission brake OR does anybody have a good original engine for sale. For some reason he wants to go down the diesel route. I think the baseball bat method has more merit and satisfaction. The annoying thing is that the guy selling it told him that is was running around three years ago and the engine was a bit tight from standing. On further investigations it transpires it last ran in 1996 and has been under a tarpaulin sheet ever since! Fool and money seperation simplified.
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Phil, Two of mine, the Range Rover and the Land Rover have had engine transplants. On the grounds that better running than not if the engine fits the old Tranny non turbo should be around the same power as the T 214, so transmission should cope. The big problem may be DVLA getting the wind up over tax exemption due to mods and insurance. For crying out loud call it a "Van" on the log book if your going to try for MOT exemption. Ambulances are covered by special rules, whatever the weight they only require a class 4 MOT (Car). I run this loophole with my 101 as she is still equipped as an ambulance and at 3,100 kg she would need a plate if registered otherwise. My choice of diesel has to be the Isuzu lumps, described by some as Agricultural, but litterally after Chertsey tests bulletproof. I have the 2.8 turbo lump in the RR, the lump land rover should always have used.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Phil:

Here in the US of A the Cummins 4bt seems to be the diesel of choice for transplant in a WC or PW. Here's a link to such an example, http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/1 ... .buffalo_s . This is Paul Meirop's WC 53 conversion. Not only is he a skilled craftsman, but is also very willing to help out anyone in need, and is also a very nice guy.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

re engine

Post by Phil P »

Thanks for that Tony & Ugg. I will have look at that site Ugg but just thought I would make a quick response. The Dodge is doing a job this morning, fetching a piece of board that doesn't fit the car and the Hippo is over kill. Anyway there's this strange bright light in the sky that just cries out for a bit of rag top running. Thank's again for response. Tony I apologise for not measuring up the canvas doors. Every time I go down the unit it is on my mind then come back and go oh ******** I forgot the doors. I will sort today honest.
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

No rush Phil, as you say after today, I may even consider taking one of my vests off! I am getting a classic head Dizzy for mine, thanks for the advice.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

OK I give up, whats a dizzy?
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Distributor. Classichead company have an electronic conversion for the points and condenser. Phil has fitted one to his vehicle and others recommend it as well. I reckon it is a good investment. Given modern oils, and a bit of care the basic engines are indistructable so improvments on the sub systems like ignitions are worth considering. Beauty of this system is that nothing diffrent shows on the outside.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Shame, shame, shame. The Masked Purist are coming after ya now. Watch your 6! :lol: It's bad enough that Phil stepped outa line and used something modern in his truck, but you had to go and tell people and even say it's a good investment. :lol: You'd NEVER catch me doin something to the Beast that WASN'T historically accurate. DAMN, the lightning bolt almost got me that time. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Well Ugg, she does about 1,000 miles a year and the old lady is 63 this year. I am getting nearum a bit younger and starting to creack so why shouldn't she have something to help her old joints :?: Anyway according to the data plate the Norwegians changed the engine in about 1962. As far as Mike , who restored her an I can work out the milage since is about 19, 500 Ive done about 4,500 in her.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Like I said, you'd NEVER catch me doin that to the Beast. BTW, do ya think chrome valve covers on it's Poly would be to much? :wink: Whoa, that lightning bolt almost got me again.:lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
1944 Willys MB
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1942 Ford GPW

WC54 re engine

Post by Phil P »

Hi Ugg.
This is a reliability improvement and saving the ozone layer at the same time. I think that's what you have to say now. Frankly I don't believe this enviromental garbage. It's just politicians getting you to take your eye off the ball while they bugger something else up! Oops went off on one again. The electronic ignition is purely for reliability and better running which so far has proved right. The engine probably develops more power but not by tuning just uncorking what is already there so no extra strain.
I see Dodge Power Wagons do a high lift cam for the T214 lump. hmmm. A set of Dougs Headers. 6-71 blower, Hilborn injection, Lenco box, '57 Olds axle, 10 90 shox......... Chrome valve covers? I thought the old adage was 'If it don't go chrome it!' As for the lightning bolt? , it's got to catch ya' first. Oh yes we think we may have found a source for a Cummins 4Bt. I swapped the Leyland diesel in my Hippo for a Cummins 6B after the original engine spun a cam bearing and damaged the block. The engine was fitted complete with a 5 speed spicer box. I know a few people have frowned on this swap but it now does 17mpg instead of 12 and cruises at 35/40mph instead of 25/30mph. The Cummins is non turbo but is anly a few ft/lbs down on the Leyland but 30% more BHP and another 1200rpm. It is a symperthetic swap so that the original engine could be rebuilt (funds allowing) and go back in. It can keep up with a 353 Jimmy when it has to. Bring on the purists.
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Heh, Heh, Heh.

Hi Phil:

I don't know, them lightning bolts have been gettin close lately. :lol: I can't really talk, bein that the Beast has the 318 Poly with a 5 spd OD trans, AND dual exhaust. :twisted: I wish there was room (and money) to fit headers on it. :wink: Oh, I've had the Beast up to 75 MPH, and kept it there for quite a time too. :twisted:

Why not make it look purty as long as it DOES go too? Maybe one day (if finances permit) we'll do a historic resto, but for now, the key is fun. If it ain't fun, I don't want to do it. All I have to do is walk out my front door to be miserable, I don't have to look for it, so if folk have a problem with what we're doin with the Beast, well F em if they can't take a joke. :twisted: :wink:

The thing with electronic's is the wet. I HAVE been known to drive places that weren't thought of places you'd take a vehicle. Did you know a 56 Chevy Belair can make it 40' thru water up to about 2" below the window opening? :shock: :lol: The key is NOT to stop until ya get back out. :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

vintage has an engine, but you probably dont want to pay the fraight

http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/

BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4