My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Stamping Plant Error ????????

Post by rgus »

Here is something I have never come across before. I had an origional winch bumper in the blast cabinet and founld what looks like a stamping error. At first I thought someone had repunched a left to make a right bumper but there were no punches on the other side . It looks like it wase put into the press wrong and punched and later repaired with the pinchouts being swedged back into the wrong holes. I had never seen this mistake before but you know it had to happen sometimes. Go to;

http://winchbumper.MyPicGallery.com
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Interesting...

Post by Chris Davis »

A different time then... they would actually take time to fix things rather than just scrapping the entire assembly.

I found this pach panel on a Carryall I restored a few years ago. The seams were lead filled and it was all under original primer and OD paint... done at the factory it would appear.

Real craftsmanship.
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Carryall = not a patch

Post by Gordon_M »

It was on the right side where the spare wheel well was on the half tons.

I think all the WC53's had that panel leaded in Chris, presumably on the body line and not even at the assembly plant..

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day Gordon .Tne wc53,s that me and Ian are restoring didn,t have that panel .I cannot see the dodge people welding in over 8200 panel,s .They probably did it on the first few just to get did of excess 1/2 ton panel,s. Just my 2 bobs worth Ray
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: Carryall = not a patch

Post by Chris Davis »

Gordon_M wrote:It was on the right side where the spare wheel well was on the half tons.

I think all the WC53's had that panel leaded in Chris, presumably on the body line and not even at the assembly plant..

Gordon
The patch in the photo above was on the driver's side, between the two rear windows. I thought the spare on the 1/2 tons was on the passenger side and a located a bit lower down... where the battery box is on the 3/4 tons?
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Chris:

That's what I thought too. I'll be trying that non lead lead from Eastwood soon. I'll let ya know how it works. It's been a reeeeal long time since I did any leading, so I'll probably waste a few pounds of it before it comes back to me, if it ever does. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"