Horn Connections

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
fssf
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Horn Connections

Post by fssf »

I have a 12v Horn that I am trying to mount in my WC53. Can anyone describe the wiring setup? I believe the horn wire goes directly to the back from the steering column and the power wire comes off a resistor then to the horn. Is that correct? My other question is that only only see one obvious connector screw...which wire connects where? Thanks!
FSSF/LRDG
Searching for the lost corkscrew.
JBizal
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Horn

Post by JBizal »

Steering column wire goes to one side of the horn, the other wire comes off the regulator. TM9-808 shows these wiring connections. No resistor is used. The late production trucks had a circuit breaker mounted to the firewall, but I do not believe any WC53's or command cars had them due to their early production cancellation.
John
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

fssf:

Good to see another Carryall owner here. :thumbup: Now I haven't gotten into my horn set up yet, but that wouldn't be any help anyways, as I don't know if it was redone too. John is a GREAT source of knowledge on the sibject, and I'd go by what he says. So, where are ya located, and (heh heh) do ya park your Carryall outside? :twisted: :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
fssf
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by fssf »

My 53 seems to have been a fairly early one as a number of items on were 6V. It was later converted to 12V but not many connections were completed - including the horn. I have bypassed the regulator box completely as I am using an Alternator. Anyway, I do have a smaller Autolite box on the firewall (about 2" long and 3/4" wide) with 3 connection screws, which was connected to one horn wire - it has also been bypassed. I need to research that more.

Ugg, I do NOT park it inside. My wife won't let me bring it in the house. :cry:

I'm in Northern Virginia - what would have been D.C. had they not given it back....
FSSF/LRDG
Searching for the lost corkscrew.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

LRDG:

Weird. :? From my limited understanding, ALL the 53's were suppose to be 12 volt everything????? :? Maybe some of the things were replaced in the field with whatever was on hand???? :? They were even ALL supposed to be equiped with noise surpression stuff. Oh well, live and learn. Mine was in almost the last group made, Feb of 43. Ya know, maybe our wives know each other, as mine won't let me park the Beast in the house either. :wink: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"