MACHINE GUNS

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DS »

Ugg

Try this link, it may work! My computing skills are nil!!! : )

http://community.webshots.com/album/556811995RgpwBy

None of these images are my copyright. Efforts to contact the owners have proved unsuccesful, where I have known the owners. One (more?)of the images comes from the WW2 Dodge site, pointing a link to these images direct is outside my computing ability. I will remove any image(s) posted if the owner requests this and I offer my apologies now for posting them if this has caused a problem.
EJOWest
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by EJOWest »

I believe that is a M24A2 mount... looks just like the one I have. According to the TM 9-224 manual... "The M24A2 is a modification of the M24A1, strengthened sufficiently to take the cal. .50 machine gun M2 and adaptable to either the 3/4 ton,4 X 4 or 1 1/2-ton, 6 X 6".

Ernie
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

M24 Mounts

Post by halifaxgroup »

The images of the M24A2 mount in red primer are pictures that I took of my mount. I sent these to DS so he could replicate one. Glad to see them on this Forum to help others. It is primed with PPG DP74LF epoxy primer. Very expensive but it is the best product of its type offered by PPG. If you guy's want to see it mounted on my WC51, go to the Gallery section of my website: http://www.tm9ordnance.com

By now I hope you guy's saw the picture of the M36 series ring mount on the WC51/52 on the other link. I also have a picture from the same source (Thanks Ernie!!) of an M24A2 mount on a WC51/52 with the cradle, pintle and recoil carrage from an M63 AA ground mount. Looks like a Signal Corps truck.

There are at least 3 pictures of an WC-63 with an M24A2 mount and the armored vehicle pintle cradle comb commonly seen on open top armored vehicles. Not the M23 spring type but the extended type as seen on many M8 and M20 armored cars. Check out the Dodge book by Emile Becker and Guy Dentzer.

Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Paul,
Goergous truck! And a very interesting MG mount. I have never seen one like this before.
So you are the TM9ORDINANCE paint guy?
Maybe if i started a new thread asking about your paint you could come on and answer / describe your paint to us?

steve a
samason
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by samason »

Paul,
Also, that box setting on the troop seats, i guess it is for the MG?
Did you make it or is it origanal?
Just the box alone would look cool as....... in the back of our WC'S

steve
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gunned WC

Post by Jim M »

Interesting that this topic should show up on the forum. Have been playing with the idea of putting a MG mount on the right passenager step/plate.
Still playing with the idea and really like the way the WC would look. Now it will be a matter of time and/or money.
Too many other projects ahead ofthis one to worry about it for a while :cry:
Is always nice to great minds who think alike 8)

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Maynard has been tryin to get me to mount a MG on the Beast, and sorta make it a "Rat Patrol" type vehicle. :lol: Might be interesting. :shock:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
My garage: 1944 Leyland Hippo MKII 6x4 GS 10 tonner
1944 Willys MB
1942 Dodge WC51 Weapon Carrier (US Navy)
1937 Sunbeam bicycle
1926 BSA 500 Blue Star Sport motorcycle
1942 Ford GPW

Machine Guns.

Post by Phil P »

At the risk of opening or re-opening a debate/can of worms, I thought that WC51, 52,62,& 63's are a Weapon Carrier not Weapons Carrier. That is how it is titled in the TM9. I know all the books written about them call them Weapons Carrier and that WC is Chryslers coding and is not short for Weapon Carrier. If this has been chewed over before sorry and I will go back to my stencilling.
One thing that does puzzle me, on GMC's they had a huge structure to mount a 50 cal above the cab. On j**ps and Dodges I have seen pics of them with a 50 cal on a single post in the rear body. Either the Jimmy is over the top strength wise or the single post is woefully inadequate they can't both be right. I realise the Jimmy has a skate mount as a Scout Car.
I have fired a 50 cal allbeit a blank firer and that was a bit lively gawd knows what the real Mcoy was like. It must have shook the **** out of a j**p!
1944 Leyland Hippo 10 tonner (Ex 79th Armoured Division) 'Elly J'
21 December 1942 Dodge WC51 (US Navy South Pacific)
'Spirit of USS Arizona'
1927 BSA 500cc 'Blue Star' m/c
8th January 1944 US Navy MB. 'Olive's Taxi'
Feb '42 Ford GPW 'Yella Boyd'
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Ugg wrote:Maynard has been tryin to get me to mount a MG on the Beast, and sorta make it a "Rat Patrol" type vehicle. :lol: Might be interesting. :shock:

Later
Blimey Ugg! Is Rat Patrol still going on US TV?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Tony:

It may be, somewhere, but I haven't seen an episode in years. :( :lol: The only reason that Maynard knows about it is all YOUR fault. :lol: Remember when ya sent me the photo of the Zeta unit? Well, when he saw it, I told him about the series. I also told him about the real "Rat Patrol", the SAS, & their 2WD Dodges, and how they gave Rommel such a bad time.

Phil:

Try firing a Ma Deuce from an airborne Bell 500D. :twisted: Ya get a REAL pissed off (and freaked out) pilot. :twisted: SIDE THRUSTERS ON! :lol: As far as I can tell, the Jimmy's & GMC's had ring mounts I guess mainly for anti aircraft useage of the 50's, whereas the WC's & Jee*'s were more anti personel, & they also used 30's. :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gunned WCs

Post by Jim M »

Just as a point of information--the "Rat Patrol" is still being shown here in Southern California.
Being much older and wiser, it is fun to watch it now and critque it. Fun show, but its authenticity does lack :shock:
Have always loved the use of WC 54s and alike being used as German vehicles. Guess most do not know :evil:

Jim M
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jim:

Ah, but the Afrika Corps DID use captured allied equipment. I don't think there were any WC 54's at that time in Africa, but the 1/2 ton versions were used plenty.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Not only in North Africa. I have quite a number of pictures of British and French vehicles soft skinned and armoured used by the germans in the Channel islands. The biggest guns mounted in the Islands 3 x305mm at the Mirus Battery in gurnersey were ex Russian battleships guns. BOC had to come up with a special gas mix to cut them up. Also Checz 47mm anti tank guns, the basis of the 57mm and 2 ponunder were used in the Atlantic wall defences. The Germans also used captured 25 pounder gun howitzer. Most German tanks were built in the Skoda factories and the Belgian FN plant produced the Browning GP for the SS.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

MG's on WC's

Post by halifaxgroup »

I made an M2HB gun chest for myself and had a few guy’s ask if I could make some for them. I ended up making 6 in total, although the last 5 were better than my original prototype. I sold three of them at the MVPA Show in Dayton. This chest has been great to transport Ma’ Duce (Dummy RSP) around in the bed of my WC’s.

I find it amazing that someone would even consider painting their vehicle with $25 a gallon paint, or even house paint. When I was in high school I worked at a large auto body shop long enough to see how cars and trucks are painted, and really learned the chemistry of rust protection/prevention.

I have had the “Green Disease” most of my life but restored a few Mustangs in my single days. I finally gave in after my daughters got older and have never looked back. Paul
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Machine guns

Post by Jim M »

Point well taken! But a constant and continued use of US vehicles does got very old fast. And we will not even talk about the use of -60 tanks for panzers :evil:
Guess you have to use what you can get your hands on. Much like using a P-51 for a Messersmitt (sp?) in the WW II war films.
Just enjoy the film and relax. Would even start on the gaffs in the Viet Nam war movies.

Jim M