1941 WC-1

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: 1941 WC-1

Post by Ernie Baals »

Hi
There is a great picture of a WC1 in the Philipeans in the French Dodge book.
So some of these trucks did make it to the pacific in the early days
Ernie
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

I have pictures of 1/2 tons in Europe with the US Army Air Corp, US Army, US Red Cross and other Nations from research
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
Hinrik_WD
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: WC-51 ´42 / GPW ´42
M2 Halftrack x 2, both early ´41
BSA M20 ´42 / Norton 16H ´40 / Matchless G3´41
Royal Enfield WD/CO x 3, including rare RAF contract bike.

Post by Hinrik_WD »

RListon wrote:I know the conventional wisdom: WC-1's did not leave the continental US (or at least not with US forces, see the Australian WC-1's above).
Did anyone watch "WWII in HD" last month? I saw pieces of footage showed 1/2 Dodges (weapons carriers and command cars) in the Pacific, mostly with Marines? Were my eyes playing tricks on me?
One of the first foreign country the American Marines / Army entered in WWII was Iceland. There were lots of early Dodges here, including a VC-1 and a few Bantam BRC jeeps. I just found a "T202" engine block here and was allowed to take it along with lots of other parts - free. Here are some photos:

Hinrik Steinsson
Curator
Aviation and War history museum (project)
Reykjavik
Iceland
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Nice images.

I'll have to add Iceland as one of the places that VCs got to then. I know they were in Alaska by Independence Day in 1940 and you aren't that much further away.

What are you doing with the VC engine thenand what's the serial number on the engine? Does it have a VC transmission on it - like a WC half ton transmission but with a different transfer case shifter setup?

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Hinrik_WD
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: WC-51 ´42 / GPW ´42
M2 Halftrack x 2, both early ´41
BSA M20 ´42 / Norton 16H ´40 / Matchless G3´41
Royal Enfield WD/CO x 3, including rare RAF contract bike.

Post by Hinrik_WD »

Hope we are not going off course from GPW42´s WC-1 restoration, but
here are 3 photos of the T202 engine. Its stripped, but l will know later this
month if its usable. I have no plans for it as of today. If I am not mistaken,
then the date on it is 31 jan 1940 which is pretty early?

Hinrik Steinsson
Curator
Aviation and War history museum (project)
Reykjavik
Iceland
Ernie Baals
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ernie Baals »

Hi Hinrik
I would love to find a way to get that engine to New Jersey USA
I have a March 1940 VC5 that would look real good with that engine :wink:
Please let me know what you find out about condition and what you are going to do with it
thanks
Ernie
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Well that is the second earliest VC block on record;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vc200401.htm

... there is one earlier one on the list. VC engines seem to have been pulled and changed frequently, but they look to have been fitted / used in chassis number order, so I'd guess that the truck that was originally in left the production line some time in April 1940.

Ernie is right - it does need to go to someone with a VC, and even if it is cracked or damaged it is worth repairing.
Gordon, in Scotland

Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Did all Chrysler Corp flathead blocks have the date stamped on them like the VC block or was this just done on Military built blocks? Where would the date be located on my block? Thanks for any info.
johnjrv
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by johnjrv »

Hey!

Thank you for posting pictures of the 1/2 Dodges in Iceland! I have a 1/2 Ton Command Car and am always looking for old pictures of them in the service!!! So Thank you! If there are anymore please post them....!

John
Gustine, Ca...
John

1941 Dodge WC25 Radio Command Car
1943 GPW
1951 M100

MVCC
MVPA
WSAC
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

http://www.command-car.com/commandcarcom.html
There are several pictures of 1/2 tons
Also if MVPA publishes my article several more 1/2 ton command car pics will be out there
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Dozerman51 wrote:Did all Chrysler Corp flathead blocks have the date stamped on them like the VC block or was this just done on Military built blocks? Where would the date be located on my block? Thanks for any info.

All of the blocks have cast on identities, basically designed to allow bad batches of castings to be identified and recalled / recycled if identified.

Early blocks have day, month, and year on like this T202 block has, later blocks just had day and month. Some T series were only produced for a year, others ran for several years (like the T214) so day and month info is less definitive. It can still help to tie down production dates of trucks and engines, for example if your T214 block is dated 12/31 and your truck build card says January '43 it is a good indicator your engine was made December 42 andmight be original for the truck, even is the '42' is missing from the engine casting.

Location, as the photos above - under the distributor I think. Check the bellhousing casting too as I think they had similar date markings.
Gordon, in Scotland

Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the info. I'll check my block to see what year it was made. I,ve had my truck (WC-12) for over 22 years now. You never stop learning new things about these trucks. :D
ThunderStick
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by ThunderStick »

Gentlemen:
'Tis been a while since I've visited or even posted on this Forum. I read with great interest the progress on this WC-1 and all the info everyone has posted, pics and all. I still have mine and enjoy firin' it up and driving it. As with any vehicle, it requires maintenance once in a while. Of particular note about where these half-tonners went in the early stages of the war, is it true that some of them went to the Soviet Union on lend-lease?

Keep up the good work on your restoration. Can't wait to see completion photos.
"What we've got here is ....... FAILURE ...... to communicate."

1941 Dodge WC-1, born 01/16/1941, adopted 10/19/2003
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Half tons? VC or WC?

VC and early WC trucks went to all parts of the USA and it's outlying areas like Alaska and the Pacific.

It seems to have been accepted practice to send SAMPLES of these things to friendly countries for evaluation, we have recently seen an Eliason Motor Toboggan sold in the UK, and we know one Aqua-Cheetah came to the UK for evaluation, plus there is a VC-1 in the Moscow Army Museum I think - probably means one or more VCs came to the UK at that time too.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence for quantity export of half ton US Dodge trucks until the time of the north Africa campaign, most famous for the Kasserine Pass action, and by that time early WC trucks were arriving in the UK with early detachments of US forces.

So, quantity shipments of early US half tons to the UK, USSR, or other friendly countries? - no evidence, not saying it didn't happen - no evidence, that's all.

Early US built 3 tons like Rick Jones' VK62B - yes.
Later US built half tons, like the WC 42 which was built for a Commonwealth order - yes.
Canadian half tons like the T212 D8A - yes
(although us Brits rated it at an 8cwt rather than half ton)

I wouldn't go any more definiteive than that. The US did send later shipments of non-standard , limited standard, and stuff like that to the USSR which kept the US supply chain simpler, hence Studebakers and so on. WC half tons were sufficiently 'standard' trucks that they wouldn't have qualified for this, but (rebuilt?) VC half tons did go to Australia under this sort of logic.
Gordon, in Scotland

johnjrv
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by johnjrv »

Thank you "wc 9 and 12 owner"! I will keep an eye out for it. Its hard finding pictures of 1/2 command cars. I look, search and look some more online and in old books. I look forward to seeing some of those pictures! Here are some pictures I found...

John
Gustine, Ca
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

1941 Dodge WC25 Radio Command Car
1943 GPW
1951 M100

MVCC
MVPA
WSAC