1941 WC-1

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Eric's hifim37
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Re: 1941 WC-1

Post by Eric's hifim37 »

Hey Steve,

Good to see you are making progress, I did try to call you but ???

PM me , I have some goodies you might like .....

Eric..
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Splitting Engine and Trans

Post by gpw_42 »

Guys,

Looking for suggestions on splitting the engine and trans. Today I was able to get them to start coming apart, slightly (maybe 1/4" or 5mm), but getting much headway is difficult, at best. I'm using a floor jack under the trans, and have the engine (barely) bolted in the frame, or perhaps I should say rebolted in the frame, as I needed something solid to push against. is this just a case of man-up and force them apart, or is there some pitfall to the process.

My goal is to get the engine to the machine shop...

Thanks,
Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
1941 WC-1 restoration required
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

remove the cover separating the tranny and engine. should be a few bolts. should slid easier out. Don't use any chisels or anything to pry it apart or you may crack and break pieces off. I learned the hard way on a 1940 dated tranny
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gpw_42 »

Mark,

Thanks for the tip - yesterday I was wearing out my screwdriver and an 8" prybar, so will get after those small bolts you mentioned. Didn't see/hear evidence of any damage (I was trying to be relatively gentle), but will take a close look today.

Thanks for the tip!
Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Engine Out!

Post by gpw_42 »

Here's a pic of the latest update - engine/trans removed on 2 October. Will get the engine to the machine shop soon, and hope that won't be too traumatic a bill. No apparent damage to trans or clutch housing from separating them (ended up using a come-along to make the initial separating, but figured that would spread the load more than a prying device).

This brake line routing doesn't seem original to me, & suggests some of it's civilian use into the 50s:

Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

That looks right. It does a circle before the master cylinder.
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gpw_42 »

Well, that's a little embarrassing to know I just stuck my foot in my mouth, but seems like I often learn that way! Also makes me glad that I didn't chuck the old one, so I can duplicate it with the new brake lines...

The reinforced line which I found across the front crossmember was interesting - that wire wrap was unexpected, and (I assume) a marker of originality. Is that reinforced line available through any of the regular supply sources?

Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Midwest and VPW both sell new fuel and brake lines. Hardware stores due sell iron tubing if you want to make your own. Don't use brass.
General Chesty Puller
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

yes the anti rub wire wrap is original.
If you click on the pic you can see the album.
BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Frame Salvageable?

Post by gpw_42 »

Gents,

Can this rust in the frame rail be cut out and patched, or is the frame toast? It's under the bracket which mounts the front end of the left rear springs. The bracket was riveted to the frame, but I punched the rivets due to the rusted out crossmember behind...you can sorta see in the 2d pic. I found it while punching rivets to replace the rusty crossmember pictured early in the topic.

On the other hand, I know where there's another frame, in good shape, which isn't too expensive.

Thanks for your input,
Steve

NC, USA
1942 GPW running
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

If it is the original frame for the truck I'd happlity cut and patch it, but a VERY STRONG patch comes to mind. I take it you have checked the other end of the crossmember and it is OK?

This is a common problem with that particular configuration of crossmember. It fills up with c!"p, which then gets wet, and traps rust in both sides. It normally just eats away at the sides of the crossmember and you get a line of rust or weakness.

My normal procedure is to dig out all the accessible c!"p, then flush it all out with a hose, then assess the sides of the crossmember at each end by dinging them with a hammer (not very scientific I know)

If any of the four normal spots go 'clunk' instead of 'ding' I just cut back into them with a grinder until I find solid and plate up with metal about twice as thick as the original.

I've never seen a chassis side that rusty, but then I've never thought to take the spring hanger bracket off any of the ones I've done. A good job of plating is normally adequate for this repair, as it is mostly flat and the rust tends to be concentrated in four sports rather than all over the item.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gpw_42 »

Gordon, thanks for your FAST response!

I haven't yet inspected the far side in any detail - it's hangar bracket is still semi-solidly attached. It was time to quit last night, and I was just sick finding this rust, but am encouraged by your response. I've got the frame rails which came from the donor crossmember, and that might be the source for the patch!

Anybody else?

Thanks again,
Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
Hinrik_WD
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: WC-51 ´42 / GPW ´42
M2 Halftrack x 2, both early ´41
BSA M20 ´42 / Norton 16H ´40 / Matchless G3´41
Royal Enfield WD/CO x 3, including rare RAF contract bike.

Post by Hinrik_WD »

Hello all,

I see nobody answered the question about the engine block "cosmetic flaw" I have the same thing on my WC-51 T214 block, and I was under the impression that this was a frost crack and because of it my block was unservicable. Does anyone have more info on this? The farmer that I got the truck from stated that there was no leak coming from this "crack"

See photo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hinrik Steinsson
Curator
Aviation and War history museum (project)
Reykjavik
Iceland
gpw_42
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gpw_42 »

Henrik,

You're right - mine WAS a freeze crack, and my machine shop said it was repairable, but he wouldn't guarantee it. Reason was that when torquing the head back onto the engine, it'd pull the welded block parts apart and the crack would reappear.

I found a replacement block, which is currently being machined (.060 over on cylinders, .020 over on mains, valve seats, valves, etc.)

Have you seen your engine run, to verify the farmer's story? Good luck with yours!

Steve
NC, USA
1942 GPW running
RListon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RListon »

I know the conventional wisdom: WC-1's did not leave the continental US (or at least not with US forces, see the Australian WC-1's above).
Did anyone watch "WWII in HD" last month? I saw pieces of footage showed 1/2 Dodges (weapons carriers and command cars) in the Pacific, mostly with Marines? Were my eyes playing tricks on me?
1945 WC-51 Frame #81758762
1942 GPW
Victory in Europe Living Historians
http://victoryineurope.yolasite.com