FAST FILL F

pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: FAST FILL FUEL TANK NECKS

Post by pfarber »

I know I said I wasn't going to continue.. how about I simply post more references?

More QM reports.. from:

Quartermaster Supply in the Pacific During World War II
Dr. Steven E. Anders
Quartermaster Professional Bulletin - Spring 1999

"There QM Gasoline Supply Companies received most of their POL from huge fixed storage facilities, barges or railroad tanker cars, and promptly decanted it into 5-gallon jerricans. These were stacked in warehouses, open dumps, and along roads. And moved to user units in 2 ½-ton trucks and ¼-ton trailers."
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The Army bought close to 3000 of the 2000 Gal. Gasoline Tank Semi Trailers during fiscal year 1944 with gravity feed and engine driven pump capability. The trailers could off load at six points. These semitrailers could off-load at a rate of 160 gallons per minute.The trailer was produced by six manufacturers.
You can add these to your list of homework to gain military transportation discovery.
These trailers can be found in accounts relating to Red Ball Express operations and on major routes involving rapid troop movement.
Farby you are bogging yourself down in trivial pursuit, as one does not gain much experience as a military historian from an isolated quartermaster report here and there. It takes years to gain insight, and you are just getting started. Come back in a few years.

My CCKW is calling me it needs its PM before it is put away for the night.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

Even after I cite a study, that directly and exactly describes how the vast majority of fueling occurred in front line units, units on the move and convoy's you still disagree. What larger operation than Overlord can I cite as a specific, accurate and real life example?

AGAIN, the vast majority of units fueled from 5 gallon jerry cans. The fuel spouts were a detriment as if you lost or broke it you ended up pouring more gas on the ground than in the tank. So the Army standardized on the 'large mouth' fillers.

Yes, class III supplies (aka POL) were moved in bulk, but once it got to a certain depot level, its on the trucks (aka Jimmys) and on to the front. My cite clearly proves this.

Lastly, on a tactical level, if your mechanized force can only be rapidly refueled from large, fixed pumping stations, what happens when arty or CAS takes it out? You lose your rapid fueling capability, vehicles have to line up or group up and wait for service. If your rapid fueling is 5 gallon gerry cans (becuase you no longer need the spout) your gas dumps are (as stated above) nothing more than groups of cans on the side of the road.. used and filled as needed.
"The RH mirror also comes in handy to look back and see if that kid who ran across your path in a parade made it." -Ranger
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Farby, the topic is about the change to large diameter fuel necks. If your truck has one, you now know the reason why. I'll add some more trivia, the SWB CCKW has two large diameter fill pipes on the Open Cab version. Does that mean that they can fill it twice as fast, why would they have two on the Open Cab trucks?

I hear my CCKW calling. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
pfarber
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pfarber »

But you missing the reason FOR the change.

The small mouth gas tank will easily pass 10-20 gallons per minute. The hole is quite large for that amount of fuel.

The reason the small mouths ever existed was due to the civilian origin of the first CCWs/CCKWs. As the military quickly adapted its fleet to standardized equipment (negative ground on all vehicles, large mouth gas tanks for jerry can refueling) the vehicles were changed.

Why would you need a large mouth on a jeep? Its only a 15 gallon tank, so even the small mouth would easily suffice. But you needed the jerry can spout. Without it you spilled gas everywhere. Hence the Large mouth and the refueling tube.

Why, if jerry cans were not the PRIMARY reason for the large mouth tanks were the filler tubes added? They are not on small mouth tanks, are they?
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Farby, why do I get the impression you would have spent most of WWII on KP?