WW2 and military history related Museums in Europe

Discussion of current events, the site, the forum and participation in intelligent conversation with other forum.ww2dodge users - politics-free please.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Re: WW2 and military history related Museums in Europe

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: Oorlogs Verzets Museum Rotterdam, NL-3015 GC Rotterdam
The "War and Resistance Museum" at Rotterdam gives in detail informations on the period between the occupation of the Netherlands and it's Liberation. The Museum offers seven core section: "Mobilisation", "Invasion", "The air raid", "Hangar 24", "The Resistance", "Winter famine" and "The Liberation".

Address: Coolhaven 375, NL-3015 GC Rotterdam
Link: http://www.ovmrotterdam.nl
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC51 built 1942. Former 4x4 MV: Dodge WC52, LR 109 ex MOD FFR (fitted for radio) Series IIA and Series III, Series III Stage1 V8 with Ambulance Body (ex. MOD), Series II 88 ex. BGS (German Border Patrol).

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: Betuws Oorlogsmuseum "The Island" 1944-1945, NL-6666 AL Heteren
The Museum is focussed on the history of the Betuwe area between 1940 and 1945 and offers German and allied Unifors and lots of collectibles from the area, incl. photos, weapons, maps and more as well as equipment from the Dutch Resitsance.

Address: Onze Lieve Vrouwestraat 36, NL-6666 AL Heteren
Link: http://www.betuwsoorlogsmuseum.nl
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: Luchtoorlogsmuseum Fort Veldhuis (War at Air Museum), NL-1960 Heemskerk
During WW2 about 7,500 aircraft have been shot down over the Netherlands or crashed due to mechanical problems on Dutch territory. The Stichting Aircraft Recovery group is searching since many years for those wrecks and has a part of the finds on display at the Veldhuis Fortress, part of the defence of the City of Amsterdam.Notice: the Museum is only open from May to Sept.

Address: Fort Veldhuis, Genieweg 1, NL-1960 Heemskerk
Link: http://www.arg1940-1945.nl
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: Heeresgeschichtliches Museum - Militärhistorisches Institut, A-1030 Wien
The flagship among the military Museums in Austria offers the national military history at a glance from the Thirty Years War up to today and the involvement of the national Forces in UN Missions around the globe. A Tank collection and a huge amount of artillery is part of the Museum as well. Intersting part for "the experts": the section on the naval history of Austria in the Museum. Today it's nearly forgotten that Austria had up to the end of WW1 access to the Adriatic Sea and a own Navy.

Address: Arsenal Objekt 1, A-1030 Wien (Vienna)
Link: http://www.hgm.at/
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: HANGAR-7 Flugzeug Museum (Red Bull Aviation Collection), A-5020 Salzburg
The Red Bull Energy Drink is famous around the world and the company today a major sponsor of many sports that go to extremes as the Formula One or Air Acrobatics and Air Races. Beside of this the owner of the Company started to collect rare vintage Aircraft and soon the collection needed an own hangar. Today the collection consists of more than 18 classics that are located at HANGAR-7. The building is Museum, workshop and Event location with a premium restaurant at the same time. Part of the collection are several WW2 fighters as the "Corsair" carrier aircraft, the P-38 "Lightning" as well as a B-25 "Mitchell" Bomber or the only flying DC-6B in the world from former President Tito that was found in central Africa and was rebuilt ground up by the Red Bull team. Today is even Hangar-7 to small for the collection and a new building - Hangar-8 - has been built to give additional space for the latest acquisition's as a Bristol 171 Sycamore helicopter and a SU-29 Trainer.

Address: Salzburg Airport (Wilhelm-Spazier-Str. 7A), A-5020 Salzburg
Link: http://www.hgm.at/
Johan WC52
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: Dodge WC52 - 1944
Ben Hur - 1943/44
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine

Post by Johan WC52 »

Sweden

Beredskapsmuseet, Viken

Centered around one cannon of a fixed artillery battery of "Batteri Hälsingborg", rapidly built in 1940 after the German occupation of Denmark and Norway.
The museum display all things connected to the WW2 period, in Sweden called Beredskapstiden, the Preparedness period (sounds odd though), and on through theCold war, because the battery was operational until 1990!

Once a year, usually in the spring, one of the largest displays of reenactment is organized by the museum.

Well worth a visit if you're driving to Sweden as it's located where E4/E6 splits between western Sweden/Norway and central/eastern and Finland.
Check opening dates, winter is usually closed.

http://www.beredskapsmuseet.com

Beredskapsmuseet, Djuramossavägen 160, S-263 65 Viken
One WC52, 1944 chassis, 1943 cargo bed, 1943 engine, plenty of repro parts, all restored by an amateur.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Cool! :thumbup:

Thank's a lot Johan, that's a nice summary and I will add it to the list. :D

If someone has other Info's on interesting Museums that should be added feel free to post them here.

Keep 'em Rolling,

Joakim
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Not to forget the most important Military Museum in Sweden:

Armémuseum (the Swedish Army Museum ), S-263 65 Stockholm
Located in a representative historical building in the capital city of Sweden is the Army Museum – one of Sweden’s best historical museums.
It offers it's visitors a walk through Swedish history, from 1500 to the present day, among fascinating contemporary objects and realistic scenes. Experience living conditions for soldiers, their families and the general population.
Because of the long existence of the Swedish kingdom and it's influence in the area of the Baltic Sea the collection contains hundreds of trophies of many wars since about 1500: Russian, Polish and Danish banners, and other trophies captured in war, are on display from our main collection. The trophy collection is unique and is part of the global cultural heritage. On the yard of the Museum are hundreds of enemy guns on display - trophies of a different kind. In addition you will find some armored vehicles as well.

Address: Riddargatan 13, S-114 51 Stockholm
Link: http://www.armemuseum.se/languages/english/
Johan WC52
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
Ben Hur - 1943/44
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine

Post by Johan WC52 »

Just realised I've been here as well in 2013... When I was there I got a little disappointed regarding it's size, but all the dioramas make up for that. If you know nothing about Swedish vehicles it'll take a while.
It will probably grow in time.
If you're in Stockholm it's close!

Arsenalen
Scandinavia's largest military vehicle museum depicting the military vehicle development from the early 1900s until today. You are treated to a breathtaking historical journey through the decades. The museum also includes a stunning exhibition of tin figures and a soldiers croft dating back to the 1600s where an associated exhibition tells the story of a bygone era.

http://arsenalen.se/index.php/en/
Arsenalen, S-645 91 Strängnäs
One WC52, 1944 chassis, 1943 cargo bed, 1943 engine, plenty of repro parts, all restored by an amateur.
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

Johan WC52 wrote:Arsenalen
Scandinavia's largest military vehicle museum depicting the military vehicle development from the early 1900s until today. You are treated to a breathtaking historical journey through the decades. The museum also includes a stunning exhibition of tin figures and a soldiers croft dating back to the 1600s where an associated exhibition tells the story of a bygone era.

http://arsenalen.se/index.php/en/
Arsenalen, S-645 91 Strängnäs
Nice collection - no address (take left after the second Elk???) but GPS Data will help. :mrgreen:

I think I have to see it when I'm the next time in Sweden! :D

Joakim
Johan WC52
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
Ben Hur - 1943/44
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine

Post by Johan WC52 »

No, but the site has everything in English and the exit from the highway is 200 m from the museum. You "can't" miss it..
http://arsenalen.se/index.php/en/besok-oss/hitta-hit
12th Air Force
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by 12th Air Force »

NEW: Mons Memorial Museum
A specialized military Museum that is focussed with it's collection on the military history of the Mons region from the Middle Ages to the Ancien Regime and the Allied Forces that liberated Mons in 1944. The Museum offers more than 5,000 items on display.
Address: Boulevard Dolez 51, B-7000 Mons
Link: http://www.monsmemorialmuseum.mons.be