MILITARY VEHICLES ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

MILITARY VEHICLES ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE

Post by RANGER »

Sometimes man and machine don't mix.
I read the following story somewhere this AM, the Jeep owner wants suggestions.

He had a "burning in his bell housing"

"I just did the xxx xxxxxxxxx parade this weekend, and I know you are not supposed to ride the clutch, but you have no choice sometimes.....................I notice a burning smell coming from the engine area. On my way home I noticed a loud pop :shock:
The transmission would not go into gear and my wife had to tow me home :cry:
I opened up the inspection plate on the bell housing, and started the engine. I had small pieces of the clutch disk coming out. ....................I and I need some new ideas This is a new clutch disk, new transmission parts/gears........"

Draw your own conclusion. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey RANGER:

Some people. :shock: We've all gotten spoiled by automatics. Back in the day, I used to drive my uncle to work at his auto parts store/junkyard. People would sell their old cars for junk & we'd end up usin em for parts runners (that's how I got my 56 Chevy Belaire 2dr for $15.00 USD). Anywho, we had a stick shift car & he yelled at me for holding the clutch pedal down at a red light. Said that's how ya burn out clutches, & if continued to do, not only would I have to pay for new parts, I'd have to also fix it myself (I was 14 then). It kinda stuck since.

Now, when on parade duty, I notice ya get the snake effect like in a convoy. What I do is let the vehicle/float/ whatever that's in front of me get a nice lead before I start off. I also have it in low & just idel forward most of the time until I catch up, then shift to nuteral & coast to a stop or whatever.

My kid asked why I didn't keep up with whoever was in front & if it wouldn't be easier to hold the pedal down all the time. I told him I didn't want to burn out the clutch by doin that. Maybe that guy didn't have an uncle to yell at him? :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

He had a "burning in his bell housing"

Maybe he should have tipped some antacid in there!! :)

Ugg,

Holding the pedal down is not so bad for a short time - at most you're wearing the release bearing and clutch release fingers a little(more of a problem on thin diaphragm clutches) - slipping the clutch like when holding the vehicle on a hill or trying for a slower speed by only partially engaging the clutch is what's likely to burn out your clutch linings.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The most difficult jeep to drive in a parade ia a WWII Jeep, the gearing is high(39:8). Use of Low Range in a WWII Vehicle is hard on tires as Front Wheel Drive must be engaged to remove locking detent is not healthy for the vehicle, as rear axles get stressed.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it