WWII AIRBRAKES

All other trucks not mentioned above.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

WWII AIRBRAKES

Post by RANGER »

The WWII US Army 6X6 Trucks larger than CCKW were equiped with air brakes. Something to consider when considering a larger WWII Truck to restore. There many unfamiliar items to consider, brake chambers, diaphragms, air compressor, governor,relay valves, foot brake valves, etc. All have to be in perfect condition for safety reasons. Parts are expensive, new driving techniques have to be mastered, especially in a downhill parade as frequent brake application and idling engine can bleed off air and there will be no brakes. I had to outrun a chain drive 1949 Mack Cement Mixer that was behind my CCKW in a parade. The driver applied the brakes one time too many. The truck was owned by the Dragon Cement Corporation and in new condition. It was soon retired to a museum.
Anyone purchasing one of these types should have heavy truck driving experience and heavy truck tools. Sometimes being macho and being smart do not go together and one of these trucks will bite.
In some states a CDL with air brake endorsement may be necessary.
Last edited by RANGER on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Many of the components are Westinghouse and no longer available.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Even if you can get NOS - the rubber items will probably be perished and unsafe. I disposed of my Westinghouse spare parts when I sold my Diamond T recently. The diaphragms etc although new weren't much good. NOS valves will have the same perished rubber items in them.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

That will be a concern. There are still replacement parts, and hopefully there are currently available replacement parts. Antique trucks with airbrake systems should be subject to safety inspections and not have inspections waived as do other antique vehicles.