RANGERS' CCKW

RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

That was 1988 "plain Jane" look before M-36 Mount with.50 BMG. It is back to that now in 28th Div markings. CCKW is much lighter on its feet without the M-36. 1574 Cab is nearly ready, and hopefully it will be back to its original appearance in October. I chose to install 1608 dash with NOS late instruments and all the nice parts that others made possible. Bob Rubino, Jim Gilmore and Eric at Mil Spec and Paul at Halifax Group have gone the extra mile to make me happy. And a special thank you to Dr. Deuce for the parts he has contributed.
Cab is still at MIL Spec in New Jersey.
Last edited by RANGER on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Am taking my Open Cab off this week. The Closed cab restoration done by Mil Spec is beyond description, it's beautiful. I Will be picking it up soon. Sort of sad to take apart all the hard work that was put into making the CCKW Open Cab complete, especially when there is nothing wrong with the truck. It does give the opportunity to clean the smudges off the chassis and powertrain hidden by the cab for over 20 years. Should be done by the middle of October tho. Bob Rubino, Jim Gilmore, and Eric Kosalko have graciously offered to drive over 1000 miles round trip from Pennsylvania to Maine just to set the new cab on the chassis. They are excited too.
One can't lose with friends like these.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Robbo
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Robbo »

Don't forget to have someone on standby with the video camera when you're crashing and banging around with the crane - you can be a star on YouTube too. :)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Will most likely will be just me and the boom truck for about 10 minutes, not too exciting.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Cab is off, used Crane Truck, took all of 5 minutes from hook up to setting on ground. CCKW Open Cab less windshield assy and floorpans weighs 900# according to strain gage on crane. Took about 3 hours to carefully remove sheet metal wiring and other connections. Having fun, don't want to rush.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Closed Cab was delivered Friday, have added wiring instruments, NOS WWII CCKW Heater Kit and checked to see that cab mounts are properly positioned, bolts cleaned, and rubber cushions are all present. Have a couple more wires and clips to hook up and cab will be ready to install. Will install rear window and windshield after cab is on truck. Cab will be a close fit as the spare tire bracket is inasalled, and there is 1" clearance to the cab back. Have rigged a special sling that will not stress or damage cab or finish.
I forgot how heavy and clumsy handling the cabs can be, as it was 1984 when I installed the Open Cab using the same technique. Will be ready for boom truck Thursday or Friday.
The crew at Mil Spec did a beautiful job, the doors open and close as new.
Eric Kosalko added a special touch by hand painting my uncle Joe's name with a WWII Ranger Insignia just beneath the drivers window.
The rest of the truck is still clean after 24 years of use, the paint has not faded and there are a minimum of scratches. The truck is stored indoors and used for parades, ceremonies, and that occasional trip to old DOW Field, no trail rides. It lives the good life.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: RANGERS' CCKW

Post by RANGER »

Sold my Open Cab from the change over, last week. Someone now has a nice cab for a future project.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Found the Invoice for my CCKW 352
Dated December 8, 1983, purchase price was $2500.00 ($1300.00 for the truck, $1200.00 for shipping from Denmark). It had to be shipped overland from Denmark to Rotterdam Holland, from there it was shipped as "roll on freight" via SS Pulaski to Newark, New Jersey. Supreme Surplus, Metuchen, NJ sold it to me. Seymore Sinett was the owner of Supreme Surplus, we had done business with him since 1946.

SAMPLE PRICES
New Parts 1986 Wholesale Prices
Gov't Rebuilt Engines
Dodge 230 6 Volt $575.00
IH Halftrack engine $650.00
Weasel Engine $250.00
Bren Carrier V8 Ford $200.00
NOS BANJO Rear Axle Assembly $250.00
NOS M-37 Doors $60.00

Take out Parts 1986 Wholesale Prices
GMC 270 $100.00
CCKW Transmissions $125.00
CCKW Transfers $125.00
Near new 750X20 NDT on wheels $30.00
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

At the time I was doing the "frame up" restoration, a NOS French Army Surplus Radiator was installed. Since then I have aquired a NOS GI Issue GM "Harrison" CCKW radiator which has been added to the stock of NOS CCKW spares for my SWB restoration. The French manufactured CCKW replacement radiators are equal in quality to the GI Issue, only difference is the support for the drain cock and the French name plate.
Only other French manufactured part used on the restoration is the NOS 1968 dated Bendix of France Type 1 Hydrovac. Bendix authorized manufacture of replacement Hydrovacs in France. Only difference is the "Made in France" marking, it is identical to the original.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I hope to accumulate 300 to 400 miles on the CCKW this season, gotta break in that new 270. :thumbup:
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Kind of boring now as the CCKW is basically complete except for three or four ground straps on the cab and engine mounts, the under the dash harness should be rerouted thru the upper firewall hole and French rear chassis harness will be removed and replaced with a NOS GI Issue when I am in the mood.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

It runs beautiful, just waiting to readjust the valves on the new engine.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The RANGER CCKW is a happy CCKW, it is a reminder of the good old days in the Army. There have been no breakdowns or failures in 25 years (due to good military maintenance discipline) or bad vendor stories. It is a 100% fun truck put together with genuine OEM parts just like Uncle Sammy expected his GIs to do.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Why all the fuss? There is no need to line up inline fuel filters like so many sausage links, install oddball clutches, 12 Volt electrics, Alternators, electric fuel pumps, civilian 302 CID engines. The CCKW will function just fine with all the OEM components that the Army paid for. If your CCKW has the WWII upgrads as installed by MWO or as on late engines, it is a plus as the truck will be more reliable.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Why the RANGERS Insignia on the drivers door?
T/SGT Joseph Gopan was my uncle who served in WWII. He was part of the Cadre for the new 2nd Army Ranger School at Camp Forrest Tennessee. The instructors for the first class became students during the next class. He was assigned to the 28th and 106th Div. and led many patrols into enemy territory.
I have his 2nd Army Ranger Training Manual and Diploma proudly on display.